Port Renfrew

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
vanman

Port Renfrew

Post by vanman »

Hi everyone, I was just in Port Renfrew having a meeting, and they expressed an interest in working with the kiteboarding community to see if there could be a launch area created on the docks near the PR hotel - is there anyone who might be familiar with the area that might be able voice an opinion on what might work? Its a working dock, but they are willing to look at building a space for us, to launch and land there instead of always downwind at the beach and campsite.

Any ideas let me know! email me direct if you like reed at realestatefinancing.ca
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I do not understand what is wrong with launching and landing on the very wide nice sandy beach?

Was there this weekend, beac is nice:)

One thing for sure is that if a dock was to be built for a launch, it would definitively be a "beggineer" heaven since it would offer a long downwind ground... Unfortunately not sure if there is a way to safely build a launch for beggineer. (beggineer group, or with an assitant that go to the beach to pick rider up).
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Dock site for launching and landing kites is not feasible, in my humble opinion. Dock deck is 10-15 feet above water, with ocean swells.

They have enough trouble keeping the seasonal marina intact. If your talking about something off the marina fingers a la PA, then more feasible but still sketchy. It may be easier to float or move the Hotel to the beach. LOL

Like Teabag said, I would rather see the beach site made more accessible to kiters. Beach site is native reserve and campground. It blows there a lot in the summer, which is not a secret, but less wind and less reliable than the Lake.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

There is also the downwind proposed marina. This will have fingers at sea level (according to artists impression). This would be a better site for a marina kite launch a la PA.

See http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/305859621.html
Atomic-Chomik

renny kiting

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

The number one thing that could be done to promote wind based activities there is put in a weather station, on the beach, not in town.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Agreed. That should definitely happen. Recommend the new weather station be located on top of the PR hotel when they move it to the beach!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I second the weather station, let us know what we're missing!
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
CTK

Post by CTK »

The weather station thing has been brought up before. As for a launch at the marina I think it's dangerous and there is no need considering the great wide open Sandy beach to launch and land from.