sailing tweeking help

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
chewy

sailing tweeking help

Post by chewy »

Question for those that know. My 5.8 sail feels like it continually wants to throw itself forward. It seems like I have to fight it constantly to keep from getting catapulted, more so then with my other sails. Would more downhaul or outhaul help? If I remember correctly this will bring the pocket of the sail further back hopefully decreasing the sails tendency to throw itself forward?

Any other suggestions or ideas would help.

Cheers
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Catapulting...

Post by Bobson »

I'm not an expert :roll: but from what I know about physics... :lol: HA!...I mean from what I've read and heard on my video's.....more downhaul usually moves the draft forward.....so maybe a little less downhaul, move mast foot back, foot straps forward, boom height down. I think each of these things will effect where the pull of the sail comes from relative to where you are on the board. I would try each one of these seperately. Try one then if that doesn't solve the problem, put the first thing back to where you had it first and try something else. One of these things will probably help and all of these things might help just a little. Trial and error is one of the best ways to actually learn.....or that's what my Mom says anyways!! HA! Good luck!!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hey Chewy,

What brand and model are you sailing? I think I recall you buying Brian's Boxxer. What kind of mast are you using? Does it match the specs of the sail? What kind of board are you sailing? Where do you tend to place the mast foot with the 5.8? Fin size? Footstrap position? Color of wetsuit?

Bobson's correct in that boom height, mast foot position and footstrap position all have a role in the sailing dynamics of the board/sail/fin/sailor.
I would bet, however, that you are not pulling enough downhaul into the sail. An under-downhauled sail will feel pitchy and too powerful. Conversely, an over-downhauled sail will feel gutless and twitchy (over- outhauling will also make the twitchy feel even worse). For most new sailors, underdownhauling the sail is the biggest rigging error, and the fight to remain control ensues.

Try this: Downhaul until the sail is floppy between the top 2 battens. Even in lighter wind you still want the sail somewhat loose in the head. Once you are planing, the twist in the head allows the sail to better align itself and react to the wind without unsettling the rider. Then experiment with different outhaul settings. Make sure that the tack of the sail is as close to the base pulley as possible in it's downhauled state so that the sail is rigged on the sweet spot of the mast. Set your boom near collarbone height. Make sure your harness lines are balanced.

Maybe even post a photo of the sail as you would normally rig it so that we could better trouble shoot for you.

One more thought, the Boxxer (if that's what you are sailing) has a large head and will tend to pitch if not alowed to twist. So downhaul that motha!

Let us know how it goes!
chewy

Post by chewy »

Bobson and Winddoctor

Thanks for the replies. The sail in question is the Boxxer and I will try to downhaul the crap of it next time. Thanks again for all the help, it just increases the learning curve and makes windsurfing that much more enjoyable. More time on water (TOW) instead of time in water (TIW). Hopefully, with some wind soon, I will let you know how this turns out.