Lost - Straight of Georgia

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mike Simpson

Lost - Straight of Georgia

Post by Mike Simpson »

Lost a full set of gear today off Davis Bay in Sechelt...might land somewhere near Qualicum tomorrow. Ocean Rodeo 9 M with lines and leash and Slingshot Trex board... reward if you reunite me with my gear... blown chicken loop...boo hoo :cry:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Huge bummer! Leash broke too?

I'm sure you did already but contact the RCMP and Coast Guard. Over the years there has been some pretty amazing recovery stories on BWD so don't lose hope. A similar thing happened at Island View and the kite was recovered on the US side of JDF.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Cattle point.
Thermals are good.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Naw... I had to release the leash too after things got hopeless...and the board blew by...was getting pulled offshore and at Davis Bay you need to make a decision pretty quick if you go past the point. So much gear has been lost now in various episodes we have been kiting Roberts Creek which gives more time and better swimming options but the wind is bit more fluky. Had a decent morning session there but it had some strong East gusts so we tried Davis Bay in the afternoon where it straightens out a bit more... but it was a bad decision cause it still had a lot of East gusts in it. Better to release when things go wrong, lose the gear and swim then to blow past the point and out into the Straight. Oh well over 25 years of windsports you gotta take this in stride I guess. I hope someone finds it... my number is on the board. thanks for your sympathy. It sure was traveling fast toward Qualicum
JL

Post by JL »

I/we understand the prudent decision to save yourself. Please confirm you notified the authorities as previously mentioned. An unnecessary extensive search for a (non) missing mariner could lead to a lose of access at Davis bay etc. :cry:
Thermals are good.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

Yep, we called it in within minutes...and I also went to the trouble of calling qualicum police as I figured someone would worry if they found the gear .. no emergency response so they knew right away...and an hour ago a tug boat found my kite in perfect shape off halibut Bank and the mate called me...we are going to rendezvous in Vancouver. Nice reward coming his way. All I need now is to find the board and we are back to square one, nobody worse for the weather.
JL

Post by JL »

:P Great news. Thanks for the update.
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Mike Simpson wrote:All I need now is to find the board and we are back to square one, nobody worse for the weather.
http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11899
scarlet

Post by scarlet »

Looks like somebody found your board as noted by BWD