question for the kiters ...

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
~ pimp hand ~

question for the kiters ...

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

how many of you crossed over from windsurfing? ... just looking for a rough percentage here.
and if you did cross over, what were your reasons?

i'm thinking that when you cross over, there ain't no goin back? sorta like snowboarders that used to ski never go back 8-[
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

well i went back, i suck at kiting. something about plugging in to that awesome power never felt quite comfortable to me. but i am a wuss.
I also love surfing and to me windsurfing emulates that well. kiting is more like busting cool wakeboard moves (nothing at all wrong with that!). Anyway thats just me, but i went back from a go at snowboarding too.
i forgot to add though kiting is wicked and ive got nothing but respect and awe for the skilled kiters.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Are you thinking of crossing, Rob?
colin

Post by colin »

i switched from windsurfing. my buddy convinced me that it was a good move. it was always very entertaining to watch and still is, even more to participate. i found that windsurfing was more work. i have a lot of respect for windsurfers as i feel it is a more difficult sport to get good at. have a drag race with a kiter and see how far behind youll be left. with kiting the power is instantaneous, no effort to get going fast. its the perfect combination of sailing/snowboarding/wakeboarding. and the gear is WAY easier to transport, try hitchiking with your windsurf stuff!
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

crossing? Why not do it all?

Post by KUS »

Hmmm, well I gotta say although I suck at kiting I will eventually take it up (and hopefully improve), just a matter of time and coin. I expect though that kiting will be my mellow wind sport, most comfortable/looking forward to surfing during nuke days. :twisted:

At the same time, being an expert skier and a mediocre snowboarder and telemarker and better ski tourer, I like to do all those activities but feel most comfortable on downhill or mountaineering skis. I will board in the afternoon in the yogurt snow but downhill in powder. :D

I know a lot of windsurfers turned to kites and never looked back, same with skiers going for boarding. I'm not sure why that is but I cannot see myself do it.....I'll try to do it all, greedy me, as long as the aching body lets me :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
happycrosser

Post by happycrosser »

Crossed over after 2 years of windsurfing. The amount of wind needed and the slow learning was too frustrating. Also the amount of gear to haul around. Kiting was way quicker learning. Same as snowboarding, never looked back at skis. My respect to the those patient people that took the time to become really good at windsurfing or skiing.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

I never windsurfed, though I used to watch it and wish I could do it. When I first saw kiting, I KNEW I would have to learn or die trying. Thankfully I actualy learned (arguably, at least). Kiting is my first watersport, other than sailing - if that counts.

I did switch from sking to snowboading, but I prefer to ski if presented with icy or very hard pack conditions. Snowboarding is meant for Snow (the more powder, the better!).

8)
Vive et Ama
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

thanx for the replys all ! :mrgreen:

i'm not trying to start anything, just curious ... i know there are many of you that havn't come back from the darkside 8) ... would be cool to hear your input
Russian Guy wrote:Are you thinking of crossing, Rob?
the seed was planted a long time ago, i just felt like i couldn't justify blinging myself out with new ish untill now ... although i should be satisfied with what i got on my plate already

if i did, i would never be a full cross-over, i would always want my 4.7/8'3" set-up for the stronger days(i know i know, they all say that) :wink:

there are aspects that look like fun for sure ... the big airs, the ability to switch it up, the fact you don't have something 3 feet in front of you all the time, sno-kiting, etc. ... nothing against windsurfing, my stoke is still there, but this summer marks my 20th year(and i still suck) ... so i kinda feel obligated to try something new ... i luv surfing and snowboarding(interier pow preferred) and wakeboarding AND windsailing, it should be a natural transition ?

anyhow ... watching grant's wavecount was enough to sway me =D>
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I've certainly been tempted, the transportability of the gear sure is nice -- did you see those three kiters from interior Washington with a Maule amphibian "air camping" for the weekend at Nitinat last summer? - you could never do that in a light plane with windsurf gear. My big reason for considering kiting used to be for light air, but I think the new windsurfing gear is giving the fun under 10 knots back to the windsurfers - especially in gusty or offshore conditions. Just watch Bobson hollering along at 20 knots in 9 knots! (and Colin, I think the sailboards will win most drag races, they won the big Gorge downwinder this year; sailboards edged out Aussie 18 skiffs and kites at San Fransisco, and poleskippers have the outright world speed record back). Add the cost of another bunch of gear and the safety concerns and I'll be waiting for retirement before I seriously try!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Two summers ago I was ready to throw the cash down for Kiting gear after watching nite after nite kiters rip it up in 12-15 knots down at KooK St. I was so frustrated not being able to sail my windsurfing gear in those conditions. Big gear 7.0+ sailing just doesn't give me the rush it used to. After debating getting a kite or more specialized windsurfing gear, I decided to invest in lightish air freestyle windsurfing gear that would get the fun factor going in 15+ knots. I couldn't be much happier with this decision. My stoke for sailing has hit an all time high (it was high for many years already) and I seem to be improving again. I think that while kiting looks like a blast, a lot of ex windsurfers cum kitesurfers missed out on the fun of planing freestyle in lighter air and may have been too quick to leave windsurfing behind. Maybe not, though, as kitesurfing is just another expression of freestyle...

I think once I get bored of windsurfing (that could take awhile) I'll make the plunge into kiting. Plus, I don't want to be crappy at two watersports, one is enough for now! Who knows, I might take a kite lesson this summer and things could change :oops: !! My first rides on the venerable "Tarp Kite" were pretty forgettable unfortunately. The sensation of power was unreal though!

The airtime and swell riding potential on a tiny board sure appeal to me with kiting!
colin

Post by colin »

more force 4
and Colin, I think the sailboards will win most drag races,
i highlight the word DRAG, from a standing start on the beach. kiting picks you up and starts you off like nothing else. from my experiences racing my friends on windsurfers i have been able to beat them. im sure the pros have different stories.
kite+waves=!
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

colin wrote:i highlight the word DRAG, from a standing start on the beach. kiting picks you up and starts you off like nothing else
Let me paraphrase that: Kiter will always win beach start on short enough course :D

and if we are talking about
colin wrote:standing start on the beach
try doing that "gear down", unassisted, 25 meters from the water line. I bet windsurfer would win.

What I'm trying to tell that there is always combination that gives advantage in starting to one of the racers. And mf4 was talking about maximum speed.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

When I 'race' windsurfers, I almost always lose :cry:

However, I have never had a windsurfer wave down at me in the middle of a jump, either! :D

Then again, I've never kited in Maui...
Vive et Ama
JL

Post by JL »

Nice thread P.H.! After 20 years of w-surfing, I almost had the family tent wiped out by Declan's early attempt @ kite surfing. (about 6 years ago?!) I spent lots of time in the next year(s) reading about it on the net.(painful dial up, fight for the phone line era!) & watching Richard, Ross, Jan,Bob & Mark experimenting with equipment. Finally I just couldn't take watching & got into it BUT only for light winds. (fear & the ability to use my w-surf gear in winds >~ 18 knots.) As the years went by & the adventures moderated I finally acquired a 9 M last summer & have joined the DARK SIDE....It's kind of like puberty when you first start to notice the other sex...
Thermals are good.

Post by Guest »

that kinda puts polesurfing in a new context.