Places to go and Brains to pick?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bflipin

Places to go and Brains to pick?

Post by Bflipin »

Hey guys,
Just wondering where is good for a new kite boarder around the Victoria area?

I'd like to come out and see the safe spots for launching and watch some more skilled riders..
when/how do you guys assemble?

thanks!
winddude

Post by winddude »

As kiters have said on windsurf threads... I feel I should say something and save you from a big mistake. Why kite when you can windsurf? It's actually fun, cool and a challenge.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Check the wiki where cook street is to watch. It is not a beginner place and there are really none South Island maybe island view on a light southeast. The lake is your best bet to prove or San Pariel at lower tide

But I digress from my windsurfing agenda...maybe ask a dedicated Kiter...well or Nanmoo...he knows pretty much everything :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

How new are you Bflipin? Have you had lessons? Can you stay upwind? Can you self rescue? The answers to these questions have a big bearing on where you should sail safely. Without knowing anything we should be steering you to Nitinaht Lake where you are contained and there are many others to talk to about all the set up and launching and sailing safety. There are kite schools there as well.
curses - foiled again!
Bflipin

Post by Bflipin »

hey thanks for the responses.. I am fairly green, I have had 3 days of lessons spread out in the past 1.5 years. I am almost able to stay upwind, and perhaps self rescue. I have been to nitnaht but am wanting to expand (or compress rather) my horizons to local riding.
I would be happy with coming by and watching the good spots to set up and ride. I do plan on getting up to nitnaht when possible.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

For the time being I think you'd be better off sticking to Nitinat until you can stay upwind reliably, and definitely need to be able to self rescue.

Once you can self rescue for sure there are a couple options that other have said (San Pareil/Island View), but the other spots you really need to be able to go up wind reliably, and be more comfortable dealing with the many other obstacles the other places on the island provide.

The south island has smaller/sketchier launch areas, current, colder water, driftwood, bigger/less consistent waves, kelp, shifty/gusty/variable wind, and smaller catchment areas with beach dump if things go sideways.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Stick to the lake for the season!!! Once you're comfortable there start thinking of compressing your locations as you say. If you're not consistently hitting your jibes then you'll not be doing well at any ocean locations yet!
Many weekend warriors heading up to the lake so catch a ride! Don't hesitate to come to Cook St. to watch, the main launch is South of the beacon hill totem pole and west of cook and Dallas.