Van Conversion

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Van Conversion

Post by Tsawwassen »

I just finished getting the first step of my van conversion done.
Installed some Toyota Sienna recliner seats. Had to make the kids comfortable first. I now have a few questions on the next steps. First is solar systems, any recommendations? What size do you need? Will a 150 watts be enough for a small electric cooler and charging my phone, computer and camera? Also I want to build a sleeping platform in the back and was wondering what the best material is? 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood? Is there something lighter?
I would also like to carpet the sleeping platform and was wondering what the best way to do that would be? Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers, Michael
Attachments
newseats.JPG
newseats.JPG (107.31 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
JL

Post by JL »

Good score. Lazy boy style :P
Thermals are good.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I've always used 5/8 in most of my conversions but 1/2 could work depending if it's supported well enough. 3/4 seems a bit overkill. I've always wanted to do a more streamlined 1" or 1 1/4" square tub aluminum frame system that could easily slide out of the van when not needed even if it meant doing it in pieces that have a couple of key screws to keep it together once installed. The top could have a right angle frame of aluminum around the outside dimension of your bed and the ply could be dropped in to place with no screws needed just the weight of your foam or mattress to hold it down. Most none carpenter types just slap some crappy and bulky 2x4 frame together for a bed and storage. Sorry I went overkill...got a bit carried away but I've thought about this a few times over the years. :lol:
Why aren't YOU out there?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I used 21/32" (Chinese made ply) and to cut down on weight added speed holes or storage access openings in gable ends or other discreet places. On a van that drives off road I'd hesitate on 1/2" unless you want to do a lot fancier joinery. In the scheme of things the weight difference overall is going go be negligible and not noticeable. Bed is slatted 3/4" that slides into C-channel aluminum so it can easily be removed if I need to haul 4'x8' sheets of something.

As for PV. Bwd has 160w, lawman and I have 200w (80w panels got destroyed by import tariffs recently.) Summer with what you describe 100w will be fine. Winter, 200w is really necessary for more than a day or two.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

nanmoo wrote: Bed is slatted 3/4" that slides into C-channel aluminum so it can easily be removed if I need to haul 4'x8' sheets of something.
Thanks for the input guys. Tony can you post some pics? That sounds cool!
There is a shop in Ladner that could put the aluminium frame together for me quick as I'd like to have it ready for the coast. Also thanks for the solar info. Now that I know I can pick up a 150w kit I was looking at.
What did you guys cover your plywood with?
Good score. Lazy boy style Razz
Took me a while to find them but they are sweet, wish I had them in the front as well.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I bought my solar kit from these guys via amazon.ca http://solarenergydc.com/ They seemed good to deal with the couple of times I called.

It came with everything I needed and seems to be working good. I have 200W and that will run my 12V fridge, lights, fan for the furnace and water pump.

BWD has 160W as Tony said and I think he would say he would like more for the winter months. That is why I went 200W. For the Summer it is overkill from what I have seen so far.

After "completing" my conversion I would say don't rush too much. I did a few test runs and added/finished things as I went. Get what you need in there for the coast trip and see how it works then worry about the finishing later. I still have a bunch of things I could do, but I am not sure if I really need to. I am going to live in it for the week and see what I really need to add. I have the basics covered, just not all the finishing touches/storage.
Give'R
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

TheLaw wrote:I bought my solar kit from these guys via amazon.ca http://solarenergydc.com/ They seemed good to deal with the couple of times I called.
Thanks for the link and the advice! Hoping to get the bed and solar done before the coast and then like you say figure out the rest after a few trips.

Also thanks for this you posted earlier... these guys are close by and I've talked to them already about a top. I'm just trying to figure out if getting a Colorado Camper Van Pop Top would be worth the extra cash, it is a lot more though.
If anyone knows of a Canadian company that does Pop Tops let me know.
I found a place in Vancouver that do the tops. http://www.tufport.com/van-conversions
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.camperize.com/build-your-own-poptop.html 8) http://www.camperize.com/poptops.html :P I think http://www.gtrv.com/ have a shop on the lower mainland that can hook you up with a roof :!: http://www.tufport.com/uploads/pdf/TUF- ... Web_LR.pdf seem to only make fixed roofs :roll:
Thermals are good.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

JL wrote: I think http://www.gtrv.com/ have a shop on the lower mainland that can hook you up with a roof :!:
Thanks JL, I checked these links out from another post you did earlier ( that's how I found out about Colorado Camper Vans ) and I contacted GTRV, but unfortunately they have now closed their BC location, too bad as it was just down the road from me.
Last edited by Tsawwassen on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Damn. :? If your brave you could have an auto wrecker watch for a roof. What type of van are you pimping out :?:
Thermals are good.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

JL wrote:Damn. :? If your brave you could have an auto wrecker watch for a roof. What type of van are you pimping out :?:
:lol: It's crossed my mind a few times, not sure if I've got the guts to cut the roof off though.
It's a 2003 Ford E 350 extended. I might dust go with the fixed top from tufport. I could always make that into a pop top but that's a big project.
JL

Post by JL »

Just take care of those seats 8)
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Done 6 vans now, I find it pays as was said to go slow and see what works...my recent acquisition is Moby, a 350 diesel like yours (used to have the 12 seater version, piece of crap, maybe this one is better....doubt it...anyway enough of Ford Hatred lol). Use tarpaper or papwr grocery bags and score outlines with a wax crayon and cut tenplast (chloroplast) to suit, grey or black for friction fit into windows...can add Alu bubble wrap for greater insulation). Your solar is likely not enough to power a 12v fridge/cooler and other stuff u mention is easy to charge with deep cycle battery and 40watts of panel and a bit of driving, my Moho only has 80 watts with 2x 6volt batts. Nothing like old propane fridge. Used 5/8 ply but moved supports into center 8", mattress spreads load and you can stack sails in the 8" space. Supports are easily removed and 1.5 inch lumber spreads load, alu frames is overkill, expensive and difficult to modify. had a fold down design for bed but ended up never using it so now flat bed is the norm. To cover bed plywood try vinyl so u can clean it occasionally, low weight and easy to cut and lots of roll ends available cheap. Alternative is a ceiling liner felt but most are beige or lt grey, maybe not best color. Bed height to be determined once I've loaded the van with bins ...Swivel seats are a must and hard to find nowadays. Lined flooring with light weight water/salt permeable 4x8 foot removable exercise matt (shop matt), crap tire $20 on sale...could use pool liner material or tarp to catch salt water. Because of the club wagon windows, the ready made sterilites stacking drawers make easy and removable kitchen cabinets.

Good luck 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:my recent acquisition is Moby, a 350 diesel like yours
Thanks Markus, I should have taken a look at yours when we were up at Long Beach. :idea:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tsawwassen wrote:
KUS wrote:my recent acquisition is Moby, a 350 diesel like yours
Thanks Markus, I should have taken a look at yours when we were up at Long Beach. :idea:
Had the converted AWD Safari there then 8) Each conversion all depends on what else you want the vehicle to do....also the club wagons are nicely finished instead of empty cargo van bare steel and with loads of tinted glass....so no need to destroy that/the views and therefore more difficult to modify.....if it's total surfing dedication then you can invest in more structure, I keep mine usually very general with all stuff removable and passenger friendly :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....