Cook Street - Paragliding

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
fly boy

Cook Street - Paragliding

Post by fly boy »

This note comes from your friendly para gliding community. The Dallas Road (aka Cook Street) flying season is fast approaching us! :D This is a friendly reminder for kite surfers to be aware of hang gliders/paragliders in Southerly winds. Most of the kitesurfers were very considerate last year. However, there are still a few that insist on bringing their kite near the cliff where we are flying. :evil: Turbulence from kites is felt even from kites 500m out to sea. Further out is better. With the increase in popularity of both sports, the danger of collision is only going to increase. I personally think that it's only a matter of time before a collision occurs, and someone is hurt or worse, and we all kicked out of there.

The most likely scenario for a collision seems to be South winds (where kitesurfers cannot can only go back and forth rather than out and in), and when the winds are light (10-15mph), and during high tide. Please be aware. When the winds are light, we are lower on the ridge, and in closer proximity to kites. Some of us wonder why kite surfers are there in light on-shore winds. Aren't there better places to utilize a side-shore in a Southerly? :idea:

Cheers. Fly Safe.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Definately something to consider. The problem with the lighter winds is that kiters cannot always get upwind and gliders can't get the height. I'm not sure what the answer to that dilema is, except to be aware of potential problems. From a kiters perspective, sometimes gliders hover around us when we are trying to bring our kites in. Again, the issue seems to be awareness.
Bricktop

Post by Bricktop »

Hey FlyBoy,
thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of the turbulance that you have to deal with when near by kites are flying. Makes sense though. I can totally feel the wake of a big kite as it passes. Must be really freaky for you hovering up there.

I'll be sure to avoid you while flying, and yes the light Southerly winds are almost not worth it for kiting. Perhaps the newbies do not yet realize this.

The more we understand both sports the longer we can co-exist down at the water front.

Peace

Brick top
Madali

Re: Cook Street - Paragliding

Post by Madali »

fly boy wrote: Some of us wonder why kite surfers are there in light on-shore winds. Aren't there better places to utilize a side-shore in a Southerly? :idea:

Cheers. Fly Safe.
Thanks for the heads-up Fly Boy. I think more understanding is key here.

With respect to Bricktop, newbies aren't able to kite in onshore winds, therefore are unlikely to be out in those conditions. Advanced kiters can and do enjoy the 12-15 knot onshore Southerlies (even SSE) as they can provide some of the smoothest and liftiest times to kite. :D

I witnessed a near collision last year, with the paraglider coming from the west -out of the sun- and yelling at a kiter who was waiting on the beach with his kite up, looking downwind. In that situation, it is definately up to the parglider to be on the lookout, as kiters can not look upwind and into the sun to watch.
Local Kiter

Post by Local Kiter »

Correct me if I'm wrong..... Aren't paragliders are supposed to stay on the East side of kook st. :?:....I'm not saying that they have to...Because of the increased popularity of both sports and the diminishing space, maybe we all should try to set some tentative guidelines so that we can all enjoy this wonderful spot without any problems...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Specific zones for each sport? Thats news to me. If there are guidelines out there, we should all be made aware of them.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

500 meters?
Maybe Brochie ledge or something.HA HA
I dont think you will ever be able to aviod each other completely.
Things Happen, And there is always someone new sailing at DR
and have dont know about the veriable wind direction.
All we can do is try.
Dont be hasty ALL .
"""STAY OUT OF OUR LAUNCH ZONE!!!!
:twisted:
:wink: Peace""
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Local Kiter wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong..... Aren't paragliders are supposed to stay on the East side of kook st. :?:....
Negative. We have a permit with the city saying that we can only launch between clover point and cook street. However, we can fly whereever we can get to. Many times we try to "cross the point" (that's the point just to the West of where you guys launch), but often cannot get across because of the West component of the winds. The hovering over your launch is really an attempt to get across the point. Once crossed over, it's easy to get back downwind. It's preferable to soar the West cliffs for us because there is more room, less kites below, and higher cliffs.

Regards, and thanks for reading.
JL

Post by JL »

ImageThanks for the 'heads up' flyboy.....Show you care & share the air Dudes!
Thermals are good.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Suggestion for the kiters: When walking up the beach with your kite in the air, do NOT have it over the cliff when there are paragliders around. IMO, this isn't a good idea at any time, but just silly when we are sharing the airspace.

And the paragliders should be aware that kiters often have to land downwind for a variety of circumstances, and can't always pick the best spot or time to land (esp. if dealing with broken equipment!).

Cheers!
Vive et Ama