Differences in OR Prodigy gen 3 vs 4 vs 5

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
raztec

Differences in OR Prodigy gen 3 vs 4 vs 5

Post by raztec »

Can someone tell me what the main differences are between the OR Prodigy gen 3 vs 4 vs 5?

I've heard there are advantages and disadvantages of each.

Many Thanks
A
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'm sure Toddcares will chime in but the latest one goes to double ripstop fabric and a eliminates a bridle pulley making it more Roam-ish in the turns. Best one yet for sure but the last 3 gens are all go-to all arounders. The differences in the newest version are probably the most significant but it's not like it completely changes the kite, it's an improvement on a solid platform.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
raztec

Post by raztec »

How about the valves used in inflating them?
I've heard there are significant differences and some you need to steer away from.

Thx
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Oh yeah good point. The valve on the last two gens is the same hose-end clip-on high flow type. Tres bon. The one before that has the push in high flow with a screw cap. Never had a problem with any of them. Just make sure you don't crank the screw cap on.
raztec

Post by raztec »

Don't the gen 4 and gen 5 have a different valve system?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I think the earliest 4's still had the screw on cap which I had no issues with. Just don't crank the cap on. I believe the later ones have the valve that is on 5's and current gen.
GregK

Post by GregK »

(Todd correct me if I am wrong ) Gens 1 - 3 had the previous standard separate vinyl 11mm deflate and 9mm inflate valves.

Gen 4 has a single Boston valve which requires an adapter on the end of your pump hose.

Gens 5 & 6 have an adapterless speed inflate valve which connects directly to the end of your pump hose without needing an adapter.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Shite...I gots 3 of the things...valves all seem the same but now I feel I have "old" gear, where does it say the Gen#??
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

KUS wrote:Shite...I gots 3 of the things...valves all seem the same but now I feel I have "old" gear, where does it say the Gen#??
Definitely one of the older gens, you should probably upgrade. I'll dispose of the old ones for you