Solite bootie review

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
grantmac

Solite bootie review

Post by grantmac »

There are a number of positive reviews of these booties for SUP use but nothing for WS or kiting so I thought I'd roll the dice on a pair.

I ordered 1/2 size down from my shoe size (as recommended) which was about right although the big toe pocket was a little small (this is a common complaint for me). I did the heat molding and they definitely changed shape but I think I should have just kept the hot water localized to the toe box since I gained some unneeded room in the heel.

In a challenging Cook St session involving lots of walking the soles so far show zero wear which is favorable compared to other surf booties I've used. You can walk on the crushed gravel path without pain but you definitely feel each rock.

On the water they are the warmest 3mm I've ever used. 5 hours yesterday in 10 degree water without any complaints. The upper seals keep them from flushing extremely well.

My footstrap sizing feels like it could be reset down close to bare feet and I wasn't stuck at any point (a previous frustration). I think the material for the shoe section will also not cause the strap wear I've seen with other booties.

Time will tell on the durability front but if they last 12 months I'll get another pair next year. I'm hoping to also get some Atans for comparison.

-Grant
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Heel and Morton toe box issues for me...pretty tender after but that's just my deformed toes...plus stubbing toe front on rocks was super painful compared to Atans even though they only have the 3mm neo. They shield rocks from underneath better but not hugely, probably survive barnacle attacks more. I did NOT do the hot water fit but interestingly the play in the heel is a problem and was hoping it goes away with the moulding or the sox. I found no warmth diff between Atans and these....but it's super warm still. I will try them again :arrow: I am loving it he hugging fit of the Atans more at this point but these are interesting booties. I never readjusted my straps but could have by mere 1/4" to get a more secure feel

I should mention shipping was $35US and then the shipper nailed me for $30can for duties/taxes/brokerage :roll: :x
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Bummer on shipping. The address offer is always there.

The molding did work for me to gain some big toe space but I think I'll redo with an ACE bandage wrapped around the mid and heel to tighten things up. I'm not sure if they will shink through heating or just expand but I guess we'll see. Did you get the ones with the straps?

I think the foot section is thinner than 3mm, more like 1-2mm but as you said very toasty. Definitely more rigid than some booties though. I'd be interested to see if you wear them out by driving through the toes like with the Atans.

I got the socks and used them, I am going to look for some wicking toe socks to have spares. They made getting in and out very easy.