Nitinaht 2019 Campsite Development

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Looks like the canyon is next for "development" :(

https://www.lakecowichangazette.com/new ... tion-site/
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

that's awesome that they will be running tours through there and introducing more people to that place.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think the logging road condition is still a barrier to most, thankfully.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

An 18 year old blowing their trust fund on a weekend bender...?
A guardian betraying their treasure?

Nope...what I saw today was more like a parent prostituting their child...did you sell Nitinat to Langford?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

Yea great to introduce more people, but not really, a lot of times these remote and sometimes diverse ecosystem are destroyed when more people come. If it gets off the ground it'll be good for the local community, but yea not idea for the env or the windsurfers and kiters.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I have a friend who works for Timberwest and he says the Dididhat are pressing hard to get the road sealed - like the Renfrew - Lake Cowichan connector ....

That will change everything. I agree that the logging road is a natural "obstacle", which is why they want to seal it.
AC

Post by AC »

It will never get sealed it will cost way to muc h to repair each season ... It will always be dirt ... easier to maintain
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Isn't Renfrew to Mesachie recycled asphalt from the botched job to Lake Cowichan that didn't meet a provincial highway standard? It's more likely that will occur as it currently has to just over 4km. Only a small portion is still just "sealed" as I understand it.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Final+pavi ... story.html
Don't forget to bring a towel!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Dogs on leash?? what are people's thoughts??

My dog is more likely to misbehave on a leash when meeting other dogs.. generally he stays very close to me and doesn't venture out and about.. of course there are the odd situations when he disobeys

growing up with dogs I find most are better behaved off leash.. (friendlier than humans imho) but of course there are mixed opinions.... most people who don't know dog behavior see leashes as a mandatory thing. to me that's understandable but there is no reason to tell people that this is the way it should be

I do hope there can be some common ground like using the words " to be kept under control at all times" or "leash required for any poorly behaved dogs"

honestly I usually sweep the beach for dog poo when I have some extra bags and totally understandable the disgust when you step on poo with your booties... but c'mon people we can share the outhouses.. why not the beach for our pups..

Nitinat seems to be going the wrong way in a few ways these days
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Perhaps some context dude? Who said this was being enforced?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

It's o.k. to be proactive & start an impromptu survey about Dogs. & it is the #2 question here: https://nitinahtcampground.com/faqs/ I support dogs off leash as long as they are under care & control of their owners. :P
Last edited by JL on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I love the dogs. Problems at NN are not only beach poo (and there was lots of it last year), but dogs running over sails (and maybe kites, but my kites are never on the beach for long).

Last year an off leash dog attacked one of the two dogs my friend had on leash and bit it quite badly on the muzzle. Owner of off leash dog was not sympathetic or interested at all.

So, my two cents is that I don't mind dogs off leash when they are under the supervision of the owners, but they should not be allowed to roam freely and owners should actually be supervising and controlling them.

Now, there are a couple of Nitinat village dogs who roam and, surprise, surprise they are super chill, super aware of the sails, super cuddly and are not aggressive at all. I guess they are a different category.
AC

Post by AC »

I think it had to be addressee.
There was shit everywhere !!!!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

As always it takes a minority to ruin it for the majority...

Seems like there also was a majority of people with dogs loose and as CTK mentioned dogs were the campgrounds number one complaint!

Most campgrounds are leashes on and I do totally understand..

Now my only wish is that we can treat the smokers like dogs and ask them to clean up their butts all over the camp!! If you see someone toss a butt please shame them for hours or until they clean it up!! If I gotta pick up my dog shit you gotta clean up you shit butts!!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

With you on the butts.

Some people think that camping means they can ignore all the social rules that make for good neighbours.

I moved into a campsite last year where the previous occupants had politely used a coffee can as a repository for all their butts during their stay ... and then left the can on the picnic table for me to deal with!

I am all for sincere polite communication about these things and will do my part.