Evaluating Mill Bay as prospective Go board lauch site

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

TURTLE

Evaluating Mill Bay as prospective Go board lauch site

Post by TURTLE »

Anyone else live in Mill Bay?

Turtle
TURTLE

More info

Post by TURTLE »

I noticed that a North east and South East work the best. The North East perhaps the best.

I figure a SW is almost doable at the far end of the first point down the road past Thifties (about 2 kms).

I have been looking at Pat bay and the Vic Airport readings are fairly accurate to what is in the bay with the possible exception of the SE.

I am just lovin' this weather lately!!!

I keep going to Columbia where the big wind is but sometimes I want a possible alternative.

Turtle
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey turtle, i live in your neck of the woods so i thought id share this. Today after work i checked out cherry pt park, it was side-onshore and pretty much what the airport gauge said, 15-18 kts. Actually if you look at the south island map the wind arrow from the airport aims right at cherry pt. The wind is coming through the gap between the saanich peninsula and saltspring so it seems pretty smooth. I think further south closer to mill bay you would catch the swirlies from the peninsula. anyway it looked choppy but nice and i would have gone out if i didnt have to get home to feed my offspring. Theres a little spot to park and rig, but in the wind. now the bad part - the beach is really flat a surprisingly long way out so if the tide is low and you have a long fin (ie. on a GO board) you might have to walk a ways out. anyway the age of the southeasters is about to come to an end but this might be an option for us workin' joes at some point.
TURTLE

I have been out windsurfing at Cherry pt.

Post by TURTLE »

I saw the wind line from Mill Bay half way accross thinking that Cherry point would be looking pretty sweet today, but I drove out to the point towards the Brentwood Ferry from Mill Bay instead. One gets great wind exposure from there. It is also a bit more forgiving if the wind direction changes more from the south at Mill Bay than at Cherry Pt.