Has anyone been windsurfing in the interior of BC?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TURTLE

Has anyone been windsurfing in the interior of BC?

Post by TURTLE »

I am heading to the interior of BC this summer? Any good spots for windsurfing?

Turtle
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Nicola Lake, Stump Lake between Kamloops and Merritt
Seton Lake at Lillooet (huge thermals, hot, but cold (wetsuit needed) water
Choelquoet (Big Eagle) and Tatlayoko Lake, West Chilcotin
Anahim Lake spring/early summer

The Gorge! (small right turn)
The Gman

Post by The Gman »

Around Nelson can be decent sometimes. Kootenay Lake.
dwd

Post by dwd »

near PG taber lake can blow, and clueclutz (?) lake west of town seems to be the local spot. I remember sailing there in '92 my rookie year, marvelling at some dudes bic presto, it was the smallest board id ever seen and didnt even have a daggerboard. what was up with that!!
dunkinguy

tortoise

Post by dunkinguy »

It is a long drive, but if the high pressure is in, there is nothing more magical than a solo session on Tatlyoko Lk. As well, there is good hiking-gateway to Potatoe Range and Homathako Icefield/Coast Range, amazing fly fishing in nearby lakes and good honeymooning. Since you own an 8.0 and Go board, Okanagan Lk. and Skaha LK. in the true interior would be fun in the summer too.
Love The Hate!

Post by Guest »

you will be needing some smaller gear for skaha ... it get's it's fair share of 4.5-5.0 days ... ok lake is more of a crapshoot

nicola or skaha would be my top picks
TURTLE

Thank-you all

Post by TURTLE »

I am heading up to Kamloops, through Penticton - to New Denver (near Nelson).

I am plotting all those sites on my map.

thank-you
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I didn't mention Slocan Lake as it was out of the way and doesn't get great wind -- but I did learn to windsurf on it, mostly at Slocan City by the old beehive burner. Never sailed New Denver, but did from beaches on the other side (before a park, and noone there, clothing was optional in those days. I just found yesterday some em-bare-ass-ing 1980 slides of wifey and I drifting around on one-designs there :oops: ). New Denver should be a good launch, it is on a delta that sticks into the lake. Take some small sails too as it can blow hard once in a while. Regularly blows 12-15 which should get the GO going!

Also saw a slide of Kootenay Lake with about 20-30 long boards out at once. Saw my first 'short board' there, a Windsurfer Rocket 99 (or 88 ), basically a one-design with the back 3 feet cut off square and some scoop built-in - no daggerboard and footstraps - you really needed to be comfortable in your chest harness to sail that puppy!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I second Tatlayoko, amazing place but have been skunked there on hot Aug days?, but you can sail even on outflow & stormfronts with wicked waves, not sure about Anahim ??
Bella Coola inlet, what a neat place, if you go all the way to Tatla, might as well keep going, take a drysuit in mid summer!!
Nicola can be very good but beware of the 4.0-7.0-4.0 syndrome, Stump usually not as good wave-wise I found
Don't forget Harrison (Bear Creek) on your way in the Valley, usually 6m, Bear can be excellent 4.5; also Kilby (Harrison Bay) for stump searching and flatwater ripping, warmer water
Osoyoos can be great as well, late aft/eves in summer

Basically tho you gotta realize you are leaving Paradise for something else...never leave wind to find wind, dood
8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....