Search found 30 matches

by Gord Baines
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: thank goodness it was only gear that was destroyed
Replies: 18
Views: 9193

Not the kind of “shredding” you had in mind. Glad it was just gear.
by Gord Baines
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:53 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: 100% Swedish freestyle video
Replies: 4
Views: 3583

Nice moves. I had only seen one previous Swedish freestyle video:

https://media.giphy.com/media/demgpwJ6rs2DS/giphy.gif
by Gord Baines
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm
Topic: If you have a 2018 north rebel 10m!!!!! Important
Replies: 7
Views: 4818

Jpow had his kite taken at Windfest, Bryguy says he accidentally picked up a kite on August 10. Different weekends, no?
by Gord Baines
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:25 pm
Topic: Life jackets?
Replies: 24
Views: 12140

Hey Rob, know anyone who experienced that hefty fine you’re talking about? :lol:
by Gord Baines
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm
Topic: Windsurf foiling
Replies: 144
Views: 53933

Think about how you might rig some kind of teather. Just heard about a fella who has $2k sitting on the bed of the Columbia River, and that was with a deep tuttle board.
by Gord Baines
Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: wind in nitinat april-May 2016
Replies: 10
Views: 7666

I find the Weather Network forecast is usually pretty accurate for Port Alberni, although things can certainly change between now and the weekend.
by Gord Baines
Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:09 pm
Topic: Newbie intro
Replies: 37
Views: 14907

At 130 lbs you should have no problem learning and progressing on a board around 100 litres. It would have more than enough displacement for up-hauling. It sounds like you're fairly athletic/coordinated, so you'd be getting rid of a 140-160 litre board fairly quickly, whereas a board in the 100 litr...
by Gord Baines
Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 pm
Topic: Driving to Port Angeles
Replies: 3
Views: 1528

Peter, Five hours is reasonable. Specifically, take Exit 104 (just before you get into Olympia) when you're getting off the I-5. They want you to arrive at the ferry terminal 60 minutes prior to sailing on the US side, 90 minutes on your way back (you have to go through US Customs before you board i...
by Gord Baines
Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:11 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) SUP event Sat.June14
Replies: 30
Views: 10193

I had no idea renaming local landmarks would lead to economic salvation! I'm going to start a grassroots campaign to rename "The Dip" after it gets filled with material from when we shave down "The Hump". Nobody wants to visit a place with names like those! Then we can buy some o...
by Gord Baines
Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:59 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) SUP event Sat.June14
Replies: 30
Views: 10193

Next thing you know, Markus will want us to stop calling the bridge over the Somass River "The Orange Bridge" just because it's grey. I guess you have to live on this side of The Hump to get it?
by Gord Baines
Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm
Topic: Storm Riding, YOU and ME!!
Replies: 44
Views: 13505

http://www.ion-products.com/uploads/tx_productimages/48402-4400_Fuse_Drysuit_4_3_DL_Black_klein_01.png I just picked up an Ion "Fuse" drysuit from the Gorge Surf Shop. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've been told Rob Warwick has given them the thumbs-up. It's a 4mm, loose-fit n...
by Gord Baines
Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am
Topic: Online windsurf shop
Replies: 8
Views: 5720

Gorge Surf Shop is my favourite. Windance and Big Winds are also good. This time of year you should be able to find someone from the Island who is willing to bring stuff back from the Gorge for you, instead of having to ship it (not that shipping is problematic).
by Gord Baines
Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:08 am
Topic: Lost teeth
Replies: 15
Views: 5409

I appreciate the actions of others on the water can be frustrating and even dangerous; however, you might want to consider that the words you chose in your post above could earn you a visit from the local constabulary and a trip to court.
by Gord Baines
Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 pm
Topic: Quad Fin Review - Quatro 95L Starboard 92L
Replies: 60
Views: 13392

My buddy Sean in Hood River gets a new custom Quatro about every season, and his standing request is "send me the latest and greatest". This year Keith sent him a tri-fin. He figured he'd probably run a single fin in the Gorge and add the thrusters on the coast. Last I heard he was pretty ...
by Gord Baines
Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 pm
Topic: Witchcraft Wave 89
Replies: 1
Views: 846

Thanks, Chris. Bouke told me a while back that he didn't have any plans to get into the North American market. I'm really intrigued by the design and construction, but just can't bring myself to drop that much money on a board i've never ridden.