Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) SUP event Sat.June14

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:Hey let's keep this post on top. I think this is going to be fun! I'll be there for the good times!!
Thanks, Greg! It will be an awesome time, and there is onsite registration day of event too (at noon), in case people are still contemplating doing the China Creek to Canal Beach (ACDC) race, starting at 4pm.

Rob and I both plan to do the long paddle, in the surf category, so may be at the tail end, considering bwd,dwd,stu,todd,lysanne,stefan, owen, plus many more competitors are also racing :)

There will be professional photographers following in boats and lots of cameras to record the day's activities.

We are happy to offer tons of free give-aways, draw prizes, food concession at canal beach, plus a BBQ after the race, sponsored by WestWind Pub (by donation to Canal Beach Watersports Society). All of the racers will be getting a 'goodie bag' of items, plus ACDC T-shirt (made locally by Cloud City). Peak radio station will be onsite and activities, fun races for kids and beginners.

Thanks to so many sponsors, including Island Surf Co, Compass Adventures, Alberni Toyota, Dave Kosegzi real estate, Walk the Coast-Ocean Minded (Crocs), Kiwanis, WestWind, Quality Foods, Ocean River Sports, Tim Hortons, Thule and UVIC Ocean Networks (formerly Neptune Canada).

Canal Beach park preparations are in the works already with tents getting set up today.

Looking forward to a rock and rolling fun time for our Canal Beach opener for this summer season!:)
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Sandy Beach wrote:our Canal Beach opener for this summer season!:)
So glad this is happening at your end of the world. I hope to part take at some time this summer for sure and also spill some beer in your hot tub after a BBQ (I'll bring ingredients).

As an aside, perhaps during this event you guys would consider also organizing a re-labeling of the beach competition....."CANAL" is not a very attractive name, nor is it accurate and a total misnomer for the area (going back to the early 1900's from what I gather).

What's wrong with Alberni Inlet Beach or PA Waterfront or Watersports Park or some such thing.... A sign on the highway advertising "CANAL....anything" ain't gonna make me stop and turn off in search for it or any businesses associated with it..... Just saying :D Good luck, hope the weather turns a bit for you guys :!: and I think you need to tie some sorta drogue onto BWD to make this a little more fair of a race.... :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

It maybe not accurate but it is what the locals know the inlet as. You'll get used to it.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

and its historic, and likely had a slightly different meaning in Spanish:
"Named in 1791 by Lieutenant Francisco Eliza, after Don Pedro de Alberni, Captain of Volunteers, who was in charge of the small military force that accompanied Eliza that year while he strengthened Spain's toehold at Nootka."
But Kus, you aren't the first to complain that Canal is neither accurate nor enticing: mariners have complained since before the 1930s and the name was officially changed back then, but the locals being yokels don't like imposed place name changes, as MWMateo says, "Canal" lives on ;)
"...it is most important for the foreign trade existing between Port Alberni and the outside world, that this word canal, which is greatly mistaken, should be changed for the proper word of inlet. It is needless to tell you that a great difficulty of this word canal comes in with the foreign shipping in general, who figure themselves the extra expense and the danger attached to sending their ships through a canal; for they figure that Alberni Canal is something similar to Manchester Canal, Panama Canal and Suez Canal, where extra fees for pilotage, canal dues, extra insurance and so forth come into the question." (12 March 1931 letter from Hydrographic Service, file H.1.31).
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

Next thing you know, Markus will want us to stop calling the bridge over the Somass River "The Orange Bridge" just because it's grey. I guess you have to live on this side of The Hump to get it?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmm, I guess you have to live on THIS side of the hump to get that PA needs to change its focus and adjust for new dollars and interests and ventures to come into town for the place to survive and thrive.....old habits die hard but if not, they may also mean the same declining existence and it starts with things like a little marketing savy....The place has such great potential...but those mill and forestry owners don't give a flying F about you guys and one day when there is no $$ to be made they will just pull out.....and you'll be surrounded by a dead railway, a highway bypass to Tofino and various clearcuts and polluted waters that nobody will want to claim responsibility for. Turn over a new leaf already....maybe you can name it after the mayor that supported SB's vision and got the thing opened up....who cares about CANAL or inlet, whatever, just call your new cool and first community beach something else.... :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!

Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

I had no idea renaming local landmarks would lead to economic salvation! I'm going to start a grassroots campaign to rename "The Dip" after it gets filled with material from when we shave down "The Hump". Nobody wants to visit a place with names like those! Then we can buy some orange paint with all the tourist dollars!

Markus, relax! I was just poking a little fun. The City of PA is holding a contest to rename the beach. Which SB and other like-minded people oppose, for good reason. Just ask her about it...
GWIND

What

Post by GWIND »

Hump
Canal
Dip

What's the deal Gord ? Get some longer names for your favourite petting spots.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Gord Baines wrote:Then we can buy some orange paint with all the tourist dollars!
NOW ur talking :lol: brighter colors have always had a positive effect on things
Wish less, sail more!!

Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

I named that beach........ saying wild west water sports after awhile got a little cumbersome.
Sandy Beach

Today! ACDC event and registration available onsite

Post by Sandy Beach »

Come to the first ever Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) at Canal Beach in Port Alberni.

Registration available at the beach at noon. Our expectations of number of participants has already exceeded our original estimates. Woot Woot!!

Come and join in the fun!

Teaser promo video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pcuN3bWnsw

Lots of film crew will be onsite and following the competitors today too!

See you today.
windsurf247

AC/DC

Post by windsurf247 »

Port Alberni's inaugural sup event, ACDC was a huge success. The weather cooperated and so did the wind. 39 racers took part in the downwind challenge from China Creek to Canal Beach.

Stu Robinson from Comox was the overall winner and men's 14' winner with a time of 55:32.

BWD, DWD and virgin sup'er Pasta owned the podium in the men's 12'6 class.

Lysanne and Cindy took 1st and 2nd in the women's 12'6 while Todd rocked out on his 16 footer.

JAcob was a close 2nd in the men's surf class and Parksville Mark took 2nd in the old guys class :lol: WindDiva and SB finished in style in the women's surf class and I did the same in the men's surf class.

Overall, a super fun event for all involved. Over 500 people attended with smiles abound. This will definitely be an event to look forward to next year!
Sandy Beach

video:Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) first ever

Post by Sandy Beach »

This video gives you an idea of the layout of the land at the evolving Canal Beach. <a href="/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3etSFy ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank"> ACDC-SUP event</a>

Thanks to all of the contributors, who helped to make our inaugural Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC)- SUP event 2014 such a wild success.

It's a rocking sandy launch for windsurfing, SUPing, kayaking, etc.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: video:Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) first ever

Post by KUS »

Sandy Beach wrote: inaugural Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC)- SUP event 2014 such a wild success.
and I sooooo wanted the T-shirt :cry: deputy mayor 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

Sandy Beach

Re: video:Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC) first ever

Post by Sandy Beach »

KUS wrote:
Sandy Beach wrote: inaugural Alberni Canal Downwind Challenge (ACDC)- SUP event 2014 such a wild success.
and I sooooo wanted the T-shirt :cry: deputy mayor 8)
I have saved you one, Kuster! ....until next time I see you. It's in my hot little hands.
I prefer PA ambassador :D