Search found 246 matches

by grantmac
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Moving in
Replies: 27
Views: 11147

Got a chance today on the ocean side of the lagoon. Yep Esquimalt harbour sensor is a good proxy in NNE but the lulls are DEEP. Definitely nuke and puke but at least you can see the gust coming, bit better way out in the channel from the harbour. Fun enough on a foil, super easy carry, dead flat and...
by grantmac
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm
Topic: Solite bootie review
Replies: 2
Views: 2312

Bummer on shipping. The address offer is always there. The molding did work for me to gain some big toe space but I think I'll redo with an ACE bandage wrapped around the mid and heel to tighten things up. I'm not sure if they will shink through heating or just expand but I guess we'll see. Did you ...
by grantmac
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:00 am
Topic: Solite bootie review
Replies: 2
Views: 2312

Solite bootie review

There are a number of positive reviews of these booties for SUP use but nothing for WS or kiting so I thought I'd roll the dice on a pair. I ordered 1/2 size down from my shoe size (as recommended) which was about right although the big toe pocket was a little small (this is a common complaint for m...
by grantmac
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:56 am
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Late season westerlies
Replies: 8
Views: 6796

Rolled the dice on a Cook St session yesterday and had good fun. High tide made for a less than graceful entry or exit at my skill level but nothing broke (except a boom, but that's a different story). I initially launched off Clover way underpowered and slogged around a bit trying to figure out whe...
by grantmac
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Where is this secret beach?

I must have lucked out with the two non-foil sessions I got at Gordons in early September.
by grantmac
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am

I guess I'm just curious if this is a common thing or if I'm just unlucky.

-Grant
by grantmac
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am

Late season westerlies

I've gone to Gordons and been more or less skunked twice recently, then arrived home to see a steady +15 at Ogden and Gonzales the entire afternoon.
Is there some sort of mechanism that shifts the favored area for thermals to the East as the fall begins?

Thanks,
Grant
by grantmac
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Cutting Carbon
Replies: 10
Views: 6231

If Chinook won't warranty and you decide to cut it use a high speed wheel (Dremel etc) or else it'll just splinter.

I wonder if they would sell just a replacement tube?
by grantmac
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:56 am
Topic: Atan Booties Order
Replies: 22
Views: 11824

Any word on if the kevlar will prevent them from stretching?
by grantmac
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 pm
Topic: Windsurf Foiling Discussion
Replies: 146
Views: 62544

Local guy bought the 84cm and had his first try in Everett (flat water, 8-15kts). He's selling all his other foils including NP/F4. Does 20mph no sweat and needs little power to get going. For reference lots of guys are using +8m to foil in this spot, he's flying the most with a 7m. Think I hear my ...
by grantmac
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 pm

I am with Morley on this one. There is also a middle ground - high wind (3.7m sail) cruising with a smaller wing in choppy water doing s turns on the swell. My goal is a board that can do both and perhaps 2 wings to make it achievable. Small wings need quite a bit of speed, it seems the guys carvin...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:44 am

Do you want to ride like this: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=859259317605846&id=679196405612139 Or like this: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156667320427053&id=539542052&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity gear choices will reflect intent. FYI after a year...
by grantmac
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:01 pm

If you have lots of $ to blow I just saw this https://www.ezzy.com/sails/2018-sails/ezzy-hydra/ For me, I could not justify the $750 USD to try a new concept like this. Unsure if the kiting experience translates directly or not, but I'd suggest most of the "foil specific kite" marketing i...
by grantmac
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am

Ohhh WindDoc "flog hopping" i presume this is in reference to being a weeee bit underpowered and pumping to a foil only to sink back once you stop? I hope that this minimizing of board volume and length doesnt end the glimmer of hope for a rebirth of the sport at light wind locations, the...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm hoping to be back on the Island permanently this September and I'll be getting out as much as possible. I'd be thrilled to add the Naish to my list of test foils. I'm going to try and demo the new, huge, slingshot wings this summer. The ability to flog your way out opens a lot of launches that j...