Search found 196 matches

by rvanderbyl
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Kiting in Nanaimo
Replies: 38
Views: 18663

I find it curious/interesting that someone has posted on Facebook and not BWD about the missing kite with a picture matching the one here. I wonder if that may be why so many kiters don't post sessions here. Certainly wouldn't want everyone in the wind community to know about your poor choices and n...
by rvanderbyl
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Pipers Lagoon - Pics Tuesday Morning
Replies: 3
Views: 3656

Great prospects at CB for photos but only on SE wind direction. Better photo ops at San Pareil (SP) on the NW winds. Should be some descent waves at SP tomorrow if strong NW wind prevails tonight. Pipers should be stronger wind as usual but...
by rvanderbyl
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: A new crazy generation is growing, sick action PWA Pozo 2018
Replies: 5
Views: 5536

My son Luke was really happy to meet and hang out with Pepe this summer at Nitnat. Thanks to that he has become a much better sailor and is stoked to get even better next summer! Pepe's forwards are looking awesome! Good work on the 2nd place finish Pepe! 8)
by rvanderbyl
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 am
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Thermal sea breeze
Replies: 2
Views: 4507

Since living at SP for the last 15 years. I have noticed that there usually is a bit of a thermal boost to the SE winds. Anytime the weather is warmer usually spring/summer the model predictions of 15 SE usually the wind almost always goes to 20 or even 25 ESE at SP. The wind becomes ESE on these oc...
by rvanderbyl
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm
Topic: Replacement EVA foam deck pad / traction pad for SUP
Replies: 10
Views: 4660

nanmoo wrote:Heat gun. No question best option for removal. Even a hair dryer sort of works.
I might be a bit concerned about melting the board or foam inside but then have never tried in this application. My heat gun gets pretty hot but if it avoids using chemicals I'm all in.
by rvanderbyl
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am
Topic: Replacement EVA foam deck pad / traction pad for SUP
Replies: 10
Views: 4660

I purchased Bostik Ultimate adhesive remover for cleaning Cured urethane adhesive off a flooring installation. I found it very effective at removing contact cement off of a convertable top frame I'm working on. I just wrapped rags around the frame and soaked them with adhesive remover. Let sit for a...
by rvanderbyl
Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 pm
Topic: Moving in
Replies: 27
Views: 11104

Robby is a shorter guy so maybe it just looks long? I will say that from the place the saiil rests on his head is the perfect balance point to make board and foil seem weightless. He did not look to be struggling with this technique at all!
by rvanderbyl
Tue May 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Topic: Moving in
Replies: 27
Views: 11104

Here is how the master himself does it on Maui! Thank you Robby Naish! I watched him carry it like this all the way from the beach to the Uppers parking lot. Would help being taller if you want to avoid stubbing your toe.
by rvanderbyl
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 pm
Topic: looking for suitable novice locations to ride on the island
Views: 3182

Nanoose bay has a few who go there I've heard but I don't think any of those people would post if they were going. :roll: Some of my friends have taught newbies at Rathtrevor so not sure if there would be anyone there unless you arranged to meet before hand.
by rvanderbyl
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm
Topic: looking for suitable novice locations to ride on the island
Views: 3182

Another safer option Is Rathtrevor beach which is side onshore in the SE and if you stay in Craig bay you'll always end up on the beach. Also Nanoose bay can be good if there is enough south in the wind to get rid of the shore bubble launch from Roland Rd. Super safe at the end of the bay!
by rvanderbyl
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:07 pm
Topic: The Future of the BWD Website Depends on You
Replies: 297
Views: 117997

Thanks Larryvs for the donation to bwd on my behalf for the sail you took off my hands!
by rvanderbyl
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:41 pm
Topic: Lost my harness at San Pariel beach Parksville
Replies: 2
Views: 1494

Done! 8)
by rvanderbyl
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: is Nitinaht going to work this week....?
Replies: 9
Views: 7427

Anytime after a wind event is almost guaranteed good wind! :lol:
by rvanderbyl
Mon May 15, 2017 9:32 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Windsurf foiling
Replies: 144
Views: 54136

If you haven't found this already it explains how the foil works, the differences between foiling and regular windsurfing and also may be helpful for the time when you do try one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuNKCIi9UuA
by rvanderbyl
Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: #!@%!!!! Broken Slot Box
Replies: 11
Views: 3724

Can't imagine those fins being good in weeds. Just ordered a set of weed fins from Makani for my Fanatic Freewave 105. Weeds not a huge issue here at SP but they can get annoying when the warmer weather kicks in.