Search found 145 matches

by KayakDoc
Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Kite Foil Race boards:
Replies: 16
Views: 3417

Building Foils

Pasta, the foils begin to work in very light wind: 3-6 knots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb68bZjXUbE A larger board makes learning and riding a lot easier when getting up and coming off the plane. Learning with the Carafino board has the board overcome by the foil when trying to launch which lea...
by KayakDoc
Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: wind density
Replies: 22
Views: 8152

This discussion invites a nice blend of qualitative and quantitative approaches. Where and how the wind speed is measured is a factor. Experience with the local waters is another. The great thing about wind sports is coupling local wind/tide predictions/recordings to my experience to maximize my fun...
by KayakDoc
Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Downwinder
Replies: 111
Views: 30428

I had a chat with the inventor of the Reel Bar. He could not find a manufacturer for his bar. I would like to somehow find a way to roll kite lines in and out while in a kayak, or while floating in the water for that matter. I like the larks head idea Pasta. I like this thread as well JL. Keep the i...
by KayakDoc
Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:16 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Slippery Board`
Replies: 11
Views: 3428

BigD, Send me your contact information if you like. I may be passing through Tsawwassen and could drop some off. Reluctant to send unidentifiable white powder in the mail.
by KayakDoc
Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 am
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Downwinder
Replies: 111
Views: 30428

Without a beer and pizza joint, you probably don’t need cash!
by KayakDoc
Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 am

This Resin Research ground acrylic is fantastic. I used an acrylic nonskid from Fiberglass Hawaii and my toes got eaten. The Resin Research acrylic has much smaller particles and is not as abrasive as the FH stuff. Also a very light post cure sanding helps as well.
by KayakDoc
Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 am

BigD. I have some acrylic non-skid “powder” from Resin Research. It is a new product that was given to me to test. It is fantastic. Sand your board, spread a little resin and a sprinkle of the non-skid and you will no longer slip. I am away next week, but I will be back in Victoria the week after an...
by KayakDoc
Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:46 pm
Topic: To windsurf or kite?
Replies: 38
Views: 8293

Chatted with the owner of NSI yesterday regarding what are the hot water sports these days. She mentioned that demand for kiting products is declining. SUP is pretty good, but she said that this is also beginning to slow down. She is on the lookout/anticipating [for] the next wind/water sport. I sus...
by KayakDoc
Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am
Topic: Windsurfer/Kite Fin Technology
Replies: 6
Views: 1416

Thanks Geoff and Chris, I am not convinced that the Kite Racing crew is really on top of this. The very best rider seems capable of winning regardless of fin finessing and has therefore settled on a ubiquitous fin design with limited length changes only (flat vs choppy conditions). The rest of us tr...
by KayakDoc
Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Lost lime green surf board: reward!
Replies: 3
Views: 1217

Fluffy, I suspect this is not that helpful, but I did search for your board from Gordo’s to Race Rocks during the downwinder (with no luck). Maybe on a run up to Sheringham Point someone could take a look along the shore (especially checking that big kelp bed off Muir Creek). You might also try post...
by KayakDoc
Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 am
Topic: Crossing Straits / downwinders
Replies: 44
Views: 12897

Ian, the original post keeps getting hijacked by a few posters that seem to assume that the only safety option is getting rescued by the coast guard (in lieu of a safety boat). No one has asked about, or considered, what other possibilities there are if things go wrong. It would be great if the ques...
by KayakDoc
Mon May 27, 2013 11:14 pm
Topic: Windsurfer/Kite Fin Technology
Replies: 6
Views: 1416

Sooo is anyone using molded uni-carbon race fins? Is F4 current, or out of business? I like the concept of the outer skin fibers of the fins being continuous (unlike G10 where the outer skins are shaved off i.e. cut along the cord), but is this really current stuff? Seems when I look for current fin...
by KayakDoc
Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Good idea to switch from the confusion of wanting there to be another Titanic to possibly having good thoughts about future trans-Atlantic crossings.
by KayakDoc
Mon May 27, 2013 10:41 pm

JL Did you read the preceding post from Wade? Ensuing post seems pretty strait forward. PS Titanic reference seems a little overly dramatic.
by KayakDoc
Mon May 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Wade, I welcome an open discussion about the trip and your opinions, although stating that you are speaking the truth, both for me and possibly for others, is offending.