Dry suit for surfing!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

Hi All, ,…great to see the interest in our new suit.

FYI,….I didn’t rush the Pyro Surf to market, and have used myself as the test guinea pig (perks of the job!).
The double layer system is a big breakthrough in drysuit technology, and may become a serious threat/change to the current cold water wetsuit / drysuit technology.

Because the outer layer is tight, in the unlikely event of a dry core failure (rip), minimal water can enter as the outer stretch layer is a tight fit, containing the core and giving minimal space for water to collect.

If you look at some of the leading surf wetsuit brands, they are all rushing to make their neoprene suits as dry as possible this year in response to our suit. Some new 08 surf wetsuits are even using the term “dry suit” even though water still enters in the wrists, ankles, neck and zip.

Over the years I’ve gone over the falls repeatedly in good size surf, hit the bottom (rock and sand), and most recently been dragged very long distances underwear by my 12’ SUP board when caught in the white water. I made this suit for me first and foremost, as I was tired of putting on cold wetsuits and freezing throughout the winter.

My two kids are now using the Pryo Surf “kids” (6 and 10) and surfing in complete comfort throughout the year. I wouldn’t put them in the Pyro surf drysuit if I thought it to be dangerous. (I just posted a pic of my son Reece in the kite gallery SUP surfing last weekend at JR in the Pyro surf)

Richard M
Ps. I have a limited number of demo suits available if anyone wants to give it a try.
Mike D

Demo Suit

Post by Mike D »

Hi Richard,

I would like to demo a suit.

I am 6 2", 200lbs, and windsurf, if there is still an available suit in the right size let me know.

Thanks
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Just to clear up any confusion. The Pyro Surf is surf specific. It could be used as a dual purpose suit(surfing and sailing) or perhaps some serious winter wave sailing.

For kiting, the Pyro Classic/Pro are kiting specific with reinforcement in the proper areas. You woud have to ask Winddoc about his thoughts on the Pyro Pro as regards windsurfing-- I think that he uses one in the winter.

Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

You mean that if I buy a pyro suit for kite surfing I won’t be able to surf with it? Or if I buy the one for surfing I won't be able to kite surf with it?

If this dry suit resist to things like that:

"hit the bottom (rock and sand), and most recently been dragged very long distances underwear by my 12’ SUP board when caught in the white water"

why it would not resist kiteboarding?!?!? (kiteboarding is less damaging than surfing on the wetsuit)

And last questions, is the Pyro Classic/Pro kiting specific a full or a half bag?
Any scary rip stories with this one?

I was going to buy one like right now (compulsive buyer- the surf one for kite boarding, and on rare occasion surfing), but I am now lost about which one to buy and scare with all these "I almost die" stories :(

Thanks for any info, Ian.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

For surfing you need the Pyro surf. What I said was, If you were going to do both sports and needed 1 suit to do all, then the Pyro surf was that suit.

However, if you prefer, each suit has its specific advantages, so in an ideal world, you would use the appropriate 1 for each sport. I would say that if you did not surf, Then the Pyro Kite sries is the best option for sailing.

Another example is yes, you can use your ocean wetsuit at Nitnat, but you are better off using a 3/2mm. It is better to have 2 suits, but 1 will suffice.

Both suits are tough and well built. Wear should not be an issue.

I hope that that clarifies things. Kiting is harder on your suit than surfing due to the harness etc(in my opinion). I guess it would depend where you surf, but I don't generally make it a habit to get dragged over rocks etc. Iv'e surfed all of SA, reefs, points, you name it, and that has not been an issue. Surfboards are too expesive to go flopping around on rocks.

They are both full bag. I just surfed in it this morning, so I don't need convincing.

I have worn a Pyro classic for 4 years, and never an issue. After my 3rd session in the Pyro Surf, I'm even more stoked with it.

Also to clarify--I do own both suits, so feel qualified to make the comparison.

Feel free to pm me if you have some specific questions, or you want more in depth answers.
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

Hey Mike D,
We have a suit ready for you test this week.
Give Kevin a call at OR 544 4969 ext 279 and he can arrange a time for you to pick up.
Cheers,
Richard
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Just had my 4th session in this suit in decent surf--Awsome. I would be hard pressed to go back to a wetsuit in the winter. Duck diving-no problem, paddling easy. Warmth, still bone dry after going over the falls once.

Stoked--you bet.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Penguin/Icurumba: I definitively want to buy one of the 2 suits.

I finish around noon tomorrow. Both suits available at coastline right now? If not is there any possibility for me to go to Saanichton to try both and then I'll make a choice and buy one of the two? between surf/kite surf.
(It will not take long I promise).

Thanks for any info, my phone number 294-9958. If no answer I guess there must be some at Coastline. (It would be great if I don’t miss a second week end!!!)