Couple of kite question

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Galetic,

Sorry if I was not clear on any of my explanations, Bow kites as I understand it, do not use a 5th line, neither do SLE (supported Leading Edge), rather they use a bridle system, which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Your Xbox2 kite is a prime example of that design. Confusion may occur if you are looking at a C-Kite and see two lines coming off the kite along the leading edge near the front, These two lines then come together a some point down toward the bar. This single line continues down to the bar, which is now the fifth line. The 2007 North Vegas is a classic example of this style of kite/5th line setup.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

Nosey wrote:I can only speak about my OR one, and it doesn't have a 5th line, and i have an SLE bar!
oh really / kewl
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

kitesurferdale wrote:Galetic,

Sorry if I was not clear on any of my explanations, Bow kites as I understand it, do not use a 5th line, neither do SLE (supported Leading Edge), rather they use a bridle system, which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Your Xbox2 kite is a prime example of that design. Confusion may occur if you are looking at a C-Kite and see two lines coming off the kite along the leading edge near the front, These two lines then come together a some point down toward the bar. This single line continues down to the bar, which is now the fifth line. The 2007 North Vegas is a classic example of this style of kite/5th line setup.
Alrite north vegas is not bow so i think its hydrid , correct ?
Just let judi and u will recieve parcel with registator of stuffs from bob and i were at dominica last june , 2 or 3 days later
hope both u like that ! Have good seasoning 8)
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Sweet, things in the mail (recieving) are always fun to get. As for the North Vegas, hmmmm would you call it a hybrid. I haven't heard it called a hybrid, as far as I would guess anyways, it is a Swept wing C-kite with 5th line, similar to the diablos offered by Ocean Rodeo. These kites offer reasonable depower thought the Sheeting strap and "throw" combined, however they are limited in that regard. Hybrid, hmnm will have to look that up I guess.
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

welcome after glad hear about sweet receiving !
Stoking to research more and learn more than nothing !
i think that O.R diablo kite is too hybrid kite but not sure
so naish boxer is SLE as i wish to explain more but my english is not enuff good then let you research more ! enjoy to be deep probe into kite situation 8)
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Nosey when you talk about the forbidden plateau where exactly is it? Are we crossing it when we go to Albert Edward? Just before the ridge?
If yes I think I know the place but it is not very large for a plateau, I would be scare to fall on the edge while snowkiting this area. There is an area NW of Mt washington (to your right when looking at Albert Edward) with a large clear cut from logging. It would only work when winds are coming from SE - E - NE, does anyone know the general wind direction at Mt Washington during winter time? But then, is there a gate on the logging road that prevent access to this area? (if so it would only take ~2 hours in snowshoes from the raven lodge) Its private land, so I am not sure if the logging company be mad if people snowkite there? And it doesnt seem that safe at all, lot's of wood/debris sticking out of the snow.

The avalanche instrutor said Gomox Glacier would probably be good for snowkiting but you have to cross some serious avalanche terrain to go there. Maybe he said this to scare me? Either way im not going there until I get more winter experience in the backcountry. So far my night snowshoeing and winter camping experiences turned out to be a gong show. Only 6 hours in snowshoes feels like a 10 hours hike during summer, I need skis but they are so expensive...

If ever you explore some places please let me know of the result.
Check the island turns and tours book, page 199-202, Haihte Range look like the perfect place... But too long of a drive...
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey Teabag,

I have heard some people talk also of the ranges by Mount Areosmith saying they are good for backcountry skiing as well, from the highway there looks to be quite afew large open areas that would be exposed to the winter SE'ers, but I personally have no experience with going up there.