New Tip for Drying Booties

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

or if you have an Alzheimer moment and run out to get more parts for inventions you meanwhile burn your house and family down :roll: Also that level of heat can't be a good thing for the rubber....whatever
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Well, if I had time (not just before bed) I'd set it on low heat and for longer. Even the 'cold' fan function blowing straight to the toes would probably work OK. Basement already smells of long-ago spilled acetone, rat nests, dead mummified rats, garden chemicals, and other health/fire hazards, so hey whats to worry about?!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

By the time you're done wasting all that time and money trying to dry your boots with fancy drying inventions and higher hydro bills, you may as well just buy a couple of extra pairs so you can rotate them between sessions. If that doesn't work for you, I used to bring a thermos of hot water with me to pour into my cold wet boots before inserting my tootsies in them!!!
Why aren't YOU out there?
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Caution on that last tip. Be careful if you use boiling water in your thermos. :shock: Hot tap water will be fine! :lol:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Warm water might make them nicer to step into Ray, but it won't help the stink any! Two pairs of booties? Both will be wet and they'll be twice the stink! (been there, done that). So $9 for a few plumbing fittings and a few cents for an electric dry? Way cheaper than another pair of boots!
JL

Post by JL »

That new van of yours should have heat ducts under the middle seats just lay your booties on the mat facing the duct & keep your heat on high @ the foot setting... Then open your windows & pretend it's Spring with all the warm air wafting up !!! I increase my carbon footprint by leaving my van idling & all heat on full while I rig up ... (Hang your suit under the heat ducts) You too can have a mobile sauna !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Sorry for your luck on the foot stink thing MF4. I wash my boots with fresh water after every session and let them dry in the sun, if available, or over a baseboard heater, if it's on anyway, and there is almost no smell! :shock:
I still say you're wasting your money and time on the dryer when you will always need more boots anyway. This way, when you get home, simply remove moist stench infested boots from van and replace with fresh dry none stench infested pair. :wink:
Windsurfish

WOW!

Post by Windsurfish »

Hey, this dryer rig is perfect - of course, a better solution is to sail all the time, so you never have to dry the boots, and they are always being rinsed. Currently, I use a dehumidifier in a smaller bathroom - the heat from the running unit warms the air, and it dries boots, gloves and wetsuits overnight. Never had a problem with bootie stench, except when smelling them directly to reminisce about road trips.... I am going to build a McGyver-Dave dryer though - looks great!
:D :D :D
JL

Post by JL »

I love the smell of wet neoprene in the morning 8)
Thermals are good.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Cool contraption DWD. I have a similar looking beast that slips over the forced air heating duct in the house and does 2 pairs at a time. If you are vigilant doing this with new booties they wont start to stink, but if you forget a couple times the stink factor in the house will be on the rise.

Sailing barefoot is the best solution though.
FISH
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

not sure if I'm wrecking my booties or poisoning myself but my wife had a bottle of Febreze. Tried it out on the booties and it totally destroyed the odours. I think I could be on an infomercial with this spiel.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

When your toenails start turning yellow and curling into claws, you'll have your answer 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey I saw a program on Rememberance day that talked about Trench Foot. They didn't know what it was back in 1915 - but wet feet in boots all the time lead to actual rot - gangrene and amputation as the only cure. Yuck on wearing wet booties every day! There's a few people on this forum that might have to think about that.....
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Yeah I've tried the febreze on booties and hockey gear when it get's really bad. It does get rid of the stink like nothing else but I wouldn't do it too often, not sure what chemicals they use to be so effective.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

The easiest way to get rid of bootie stench and to kill all the nasty organisms is to use bleach. Just pour in a small amount and fill with water then let stand for 20 -30 min. and then rinse out. I've been doing this for years and it works great. I only have to do this about once a month.

I dry my booties by placing them a couple feet above a baseboard heater for a couple of days.