Kiting Yucatan

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Russian Dood

Kiting Yucatan

Post by Russian Dood »

Hi guys

As much as I embarrassed to admit it, I am about to step on the other side. My wife and I are taking vacation on Yucatan this spring and I would like to get kiting lessons there. Can anyone recommend a good kiting shops south of Cancun? Preferably near by some 4* hotel (wife's requirement. If I were alone I'd be happy to sleep on the beach in a boardbag.)

Thank you
Cancer must die!
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

Get in touch with Marco in Tulum and tell him I said hi! He has a great lesson set up and also a small hotel, though you may be looking for something more posh than that. There are plenty of four and five star resorts in the area - some right beside the beach you will take your lessons on.

http://www.extremecontrol.net/

Cheers,

Evan
Ocean Rodeo, US Sales
Hyperflex wetsuits, US Sales

San Francisco, California
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Check Cozumel on google earth, and google Cozumel+Kiteboarding. If you do not want to stay in Cozumel (island) and stay on the mainland look a place near Playa del carmen, you can take the ferry to the island from there.

Never been yet but planing to go in April.

Please give us some feed back when you come back home:)
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

I don't recall there being anyone teaching lessons in Cozumel.....the wind is side off-shore on the inside of the island so lessons would require a boat or ski. On the outside, you have waves.
Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Do you think we should book on the mainland instead?
I have never been to Cozumel yet, I only hope take we wont book a place we might regret after. (seeing that a couple of km away there is a better and cheaper place).

Thanks for the info, I'll look it up.
EvanOR

Post by EvanOR »

It depends what you want. Cozumel has stronger wind and more variety when it comes to kiting, but it is harder to access and you will only be able to take advantage if it at the intermediate level or higher.

Tulum has lighter wind, but nicer beaches and you can learn and take lessons there. The ruins are also super cool - if you can get upwind you can kite right in front of them in front of the hordes of tourists.
Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Thank you Evan

That was the information I was looking for
Cancer must die!
extremekindness Erik

Also....

Post by extremekindness Erik »

Hey,

Stoked you are diversifying your athletic portfolio! Nice work.

You could also look up my brother at...

http://freestyleplaya.com/

It's a rad scene there and I had a great time. Super chill really great place.

Have fun.

EKE
Sandy Beach

kiting lessons

Post by Sandy Beach »

Hey Andre,
Good for you to give kiteboarding a try. It helps to take lessons somewhere hot. It feels good to push your boundaries and try something new.
Rob and I just returned from Cabarete, DR and the kiting lessons I took there were amazing (from Vancouver friends working down there), and I finally got up on the board, and don't 'fear' the power of the kite anymore. Am really addicted now. Perhaps your wife might want to give it a try also, and could get in the water back at Nitinat with us this summer?
Have a great trip!
orcagirl

Post by orcagirl »

i've been hanging with the http://www.freestyleplaya.com group - what a blast you won't be disappointed. Canadian (west coast) instructors are on scene as well. i arrive 3 weeks to continue my training there. can't wait!

in the meantime, i took some nice shots of someone off dallas road yesterday, how do i share that?

photos are here; http://www.flickr.com/photos/orcagirl/

maybe someone here will recognize themself?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Great backlit pic of OR kites.
Just got back from Cancun area, kited everyday (nearly). Inside the reef at Puerto Morelos infront of the condo was sweet (think it may have been illegal tho). Good guys at freestyleplaya for sure in Xpu-Ha.