New Tip for Drying Booties

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

here ya go, it was only about $5 in parts, takes a couple of minutes to put together, works really well - about 10 minutes to dry on med heat. Just push the booties onto the ends - so long as the end of the pipe is near the heel, it will blow all the way to the toe and back out
hmmm, stupid image won't work.
Anyhow, I wouldn't use a 2" pipe for the working ends as it might not give enough room for the warm air to escape. 1.5" seems about right.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

right click your image to get 'properties' then cut-paste the right html link.
nice rig! looks pretty serious.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I find that putting the boots in front of a regular fan overnight works well (low speed is fine). The sound is less annoying than a hairdryer. I'm also a bit leery of leaving a hairdryer on for such a long period of time, especially unattended.

Forced air furnace vents work well too.

Another solution is to move to southern Alberta. Wetsuits and boots dry in tens of minutes in the extremely dry air. Less sailing time helps keep the equipment dry too.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I just saw this Footwear Dryer in the Canadian Tire Flyer. EDIT: Read Kus' comment below!

Last edited by ~~~~~4j~~ on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Wasnt that thing in Star Wars ...
Signature Block.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

bought it, tried it, just returned it....those hoses suck and the timer is not long enuff and didn't really work any better than a register :roll: more clutter in the house, another thing you don't need, trust me 8)
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

without a boot on the picture this thing would look like some kind of a mean sex toy.
Cancer must die!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmm, there's a thought, I have to admit I didn't try THAT :shock: :P maybe I'll give it another go :lol:
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I agree with Kus, simple seems to work the best. However, for those that may be interested, there is another "Footwear Dryer" on sale today only at Homedepot.ca for $40. The brand is "Caframo". Slightly different design to that Noma one above.

Link to the Hammer Drop sale:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... langId=-15
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

For a bunch of interesting boot dryers check out http://www.dryguy.net/PRD_drying.htm . I'm not sure how to get them in Canada though.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

My new booties are still sweet-smelling after a dozen sessions. Best way to deal with them so far:
1. Rinse well with fresh water
2. Stuff a small old towel in each one overnight
3. Quick dry next morning with the $4 plumbing device, e.g., while in the shower so you remember to turn the drier off after 5-10 minutes (I've forgotten to turn it off a couple of times and cooked them a la Kus warnings :oops: ) No discernable damage yet though, and I never have the heat above 'medium'.
4. Put nose at boot top and inhale deeply, savouring the still-fresh smell!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

great topic, it just keeps going.
I recently had the pleasure of skiing a few days out of a condo that had a heated tile floor- everything we left on the floor dried right out nicely. perfect excuse to leave stuff scattered all over!

ps just noticed this one: [smilie=chop.gif]
Windsurfish

Four Bootie Dryer

Post by Windsurfish »

In true scientist fashion, I constructed a 4 bootie version of the tube contraption. It dries boots and gloves, as well as two sets of boots if you and yours both get wet at the same time. Will tag a picture of the contraption. I went as far as getting two caps for days when only two boots need cooking....

Of course, my booties already had a savoury odour, but after a cooking or two, even this has been greatly reduced. No delaminations to report.

Now if we can only adapt this device to a larger scale to sail on those light wind days.... LOL :D
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Cummon WSFish, please try to keep up!

http://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/ ... r-schedule
:lol:
Looking forward to your pics of the 'contraption'. Hairdryier and plumbing parts I presume? Endcaps, whoah, fancy!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just a note regarding the "savoury odour" I use to rince my gloves/boots with listerine water mix.