Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

KUS wrote:TICK TOCK 8)

the wind and sun better show up for an extended period after this week :evil: Gonna miss the bash indicated by all threats and familial direction :roll: but heading down 18 or 19th after family anniversary, birthday, wedding, birthing, hopefully no funeral, BBQ, luncheon, dinner, baptism, engagement, graduation, get-together General Statutory Party Day until July 4th unless I get suddenly very ill and have to use up some sick time or the kusshine mysteriously breaks down in the middle of a whack of sunny windy beaches with the nearest part available ordered from Peru.

Anyone heading down wanna caravan just pm me :D I have a few new tracks of Nickelback on tap for those musical connoisseurs out there :wink: you know who u are :roll: :lol:

:lol: :shock: :lol:

here's Kus ha's Tik Tok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdYMfIAPIo
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KUS wrote:I have a few new tracks of Nickelback on tap for those musical connoisseurs out there :wink: you know who u are :roll: :lol:
Can't wait... the only thing that comes close is rolling to JR with that Russian guy blasting lady gaga.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Who is actually registering for the event? I know Chris has (amateur? come on sandbagger!) and Randy.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

For those on the coast June 18-26

Post by C36 »

Just curious if the BWD "tour" is open to kooks form the Lower Mainland? :?

My usual Gorge sailing partner is not headed west this year, so I am thinking about spending some or all of my trip (June 18-26) on the Oregon coast. :D

For those planning to be down there that week, do you have a target sailing spot?

Many thanks.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yes! Come, more the merrier and the lower the probability I get eaten by sharks!

I can't speak for everyone else, but the beach chit chat on the weekend made it sound like most are probably going to head directly to Pistol/Cape Sebastion, so Gold Beach is where we'll be staying. We camped at the fairground last year for $5/night and its a decent spot.

Skip the hood if the coast forecast is good, you won't regret it (unless said sharks cause problems). Besides, this time of year you still have to wear a wetsuit on the river, so you might as well score real waves on the coast!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

nanmoo wrote:Who is actually registering for the event? I know Chris has (amateur? come on sandbagger!) and Randy.
Have you seen the guys who claim to be "amateurs"? Many are sponsored or are ex- pros. Should be a lot of fun. C'mon, other guys! The entry cost alone gets you some good swag and supports the sport you love. Oh, it also gets you lots of weak 'merkin beer. The video coverage is excellent from the AWT website, and the Cali event looked pretty good despite lighter winds and smaller waves.

I'm working on my mast grab to douching technique. Should get me far through the event.
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Canuck dollar rising again for the trip, yeah! I could be convinced to sign up again if I could at least maybe make the dates, bummer re: family stuff :? I will pick up some refined douching and hand drag pointers when I hook up after the event.

Hope to pit stop in Flo area for a day or two, Muriel Ponzler left me a message to drop by and check out her curves :wink: C36, Florence Jetty always has some others out to check in with for a day's sailing and kiting company if wanting to break up the wicked drive down.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

well then I want a beginners division!
morewind

Post by morewind »

we should likely use this forum to stay connected on the OR june trip. e.g. post who is headed to what spot. shark updates, etc.

I'm planning to escape on the evening Coho June 16. Hopefully hit Flo on the way down. Can't wait - been 5 yrs since I've had my sinuses worked by the OR waves.

SUP arrived today - ready for anything :D
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:Yes! Come, more the merrier and the lower the probability I get eaten by sharks!
Thanks nanmoo! I figured as much (but thought it best to ask) - everytime I have met the BWD crew before they have been super friendly. Yeah the thought of bumping into 'the man in the grey suit' always makes me a more than a little nervous, so I am looking for the 'safety in numbers' :oops: as well as others to share the stoke with! :D
nanmoo wrote:I can't speak for everyone else, but the beach chit chat on the weekend made it sound like most are probably going to head directly to Pistol/Cape Sebastion, so Gold Beach is where we'll be staying. We camped at the fairground last year for $5/night and its a decent spot.
I though PR might be the target (but I seem to remember seeing previous BWD tours going to points further north as well). And thanks for the heads up on the fairground at Gold Beach.
nanmoo wrote:Skip the hood if the coast forecast is good, you won't regret it (unless said sharks cause problems). Besides, this time of year you still have to wear a wetsuit on the river, so you might as well score real waves on the coast!
You must have read my mind! That was my logic exactly.
KUS wrote:...C36, Florence Jetty always has some others out to check in with for a day's sailing and kiting company if wanting to break up the wicked drive down.
Kus: Thanks for that. That is what I will likely do and as morewind suggested to others, I will likely chim in here as well to check in and see what others are doing that week.

I sailed South Beach State Park in Newport a few years ago with some friends from the Gorge and I have to admit I was scared about 1/3 of the time, OK about 1/3 of the time and having fun about 1/3 of the time. But I still remember that day as being one of the best days. :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

C36 wrote:sailed South Beach State Park in Newport a few years ago with some friends from the Gorge and I have to admit I was scared about 1/3 of the time, OK about 1/3 of the time and having fun about 1/3 of the time. But I still remember that day as being one of the best days. :D
Nice! Never have scored South Beach when it was on yet, told it's the sweetest of all when it works. Watch for whitey :lol: and rip @Flo in the afternoons. Morning sessions a bit north of the sea lion caves with a partner. Many nice places to hang in Gold Beach, fairgrounds is easy, love the grass, but bring yer shower flipflops and paper toilet seat :? whoaaa :lol: So great there in GB, wish it was closer
I may get out of this family stuff yet :twisted: Getting the drugs stocked up :roll: getting more......STOKED :twisted: 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's less of a 'safety in numbers' and more of a hopefully 'he's too full to eat me after eating you'.

I am starting to get panicky about being out there already, damn I hate those things.

What is this south beach place?
morewind

Post by morewind »

For the full scoop on the OR coast, you can download the

Oregon Coast Windsurfing Guide

available via a Yahoo Group PDXwindsurfer in the File area. You'll likely need to become a member of the Group to download it. Maybe we can put it on BWD if we ask the author. Or, maybe it's already
somewhere on the site?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/PDXwindsurfer/

Here's the TOC:

• Sailing sites on the Oregon Coast
• A word of caution about Jetties
• Special gear considerations for the Oregon Coast
• How much wind to sail the Oregon Coast?
• Finding Clean Waves in Strong Winds,
• Understanding NOAA Coast forecasts for wind and waves
• Understanding the MM5 forecast model
• Coast Weather Oddities
• Coast if-isms:….
• Beginners guide to wave sailing.
• Your first day in Big waves
• Right of way rules….
• Cell Phones on the Coast
• Internet on the coast
• Drive times to the Coast
• If you break gear….
• Localism
• Sharks
• Radio for the Drive and Noaa
• The Lingo…. A few new terms
• More Resources
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Some old dude posted this a while back:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1860
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
morewind

Post by morewind »

be careful browsing that old thread, there's some mighty disturbing stuff in there...

click at your own risk!