Oregon Wavesailing Trips 2011

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

Windsurfing is AWESOME!!!!!
KC7777

Sailing

Post by KC7777 »

So after making us "lake sailors" feel inadequate about not hitting the Coast and after reading your Oregon logs.....now you say Nitinat can be super fun again! I'm SO confused.

Actually Windoc, Kus, nanmoo et al....all good advice/comments and I enjoy reading your Oregon logs and seeing the pics. I'll be there one day soon I think.

Windoc - really good points in your last post. The reason I am getting tired of just going back and forth at Nitinat is because I am not trying anything new. When you only get to sail 10 days or so per year on boards <120L (and sails < 6.5M) it can be tough to learn new stuff -- it is difficult just to get your jibes back after 9 months of no sailing. But whether it is tacks, carving jibes, clew first sailing there is lots to be trying there.....actually going back next week for a day or two.

PS - unloading some bigger sails so I can revamp the "freestyle" end of the quiver.

Keith
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Right on Winddoc.

I learned how to clew first water start. sail clew first, do a pivot gybe, and last year, was working on duck gybes to spice up my Nitinat sailing. I still have to learn how to do a lay down gybe and get a decent chop hop. I see guys throwing tricks and I think that maybe I can try a few of those too. So much to learn. Nitinat is a marvel.

P.S. I have a buddy who has basically given up windsurfing and taken up kiting because he hasn't been able to nail a gybe after 4 years of trying. He's hoping kiting is easier :) ... hope he doesn't read this ..... :oops:
I wish my TOW was longer!
Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

We're going back to the Gorge next Wednesday but as soon as the coast looks good we gonna be hitting that b. Anyone still down there? Or going?

Dan
Randy

Post by Randy »

I plan to bring my camera to the coast - leaving Sunday July 17. It'll help me 'hunt the pack' if you post your locations. I'm thinking of staying 2 weeks but don't know if I should start at PR and work north or go the other way.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

I'm hoping to leave on Fri. nite or Sat. morning and heading to PR.
My other hobby is channel surfing
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Randy, we're hoping to be in Hood River (Gorge) for July 28th-Aug 1st. We'll stay in touch.
Poultry in motion
BigD

Hood River

Post by BigD »

Good thread, I've been feeling like my sailing level has been a bit stagnant too but I'm still having a blast whenever I get out. Just got a new 86L board which is the smallest I've sailed and found it to be very comfortable in 5.5 conditions and below. Time to sell some of the bigger gear and maybe plan a trip to the coast for next year.

Last week I was trying a few duck jibes and still working on nailing regular old jibes. Headed to Hood River from July 14th to 21st, hopefully there are some other locals there and the wind is good.

No plans to take up kiting anytime soon, gonna try some new stuff this summer and see if I can't take my sailing to the next level. See you on the water!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

And some of us (JanetFish) are now so used to the coast conditions they can talk about "relaxed logo high" waves. :shock: :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I hope to bring my two older kids (14 & 16) and perhaps wife and youngest (12) from 24th (17th) to Aug 10 (3rd) if I can manage to shift my vacation week to these later dates.
Hoping for Florence and some Hood River, if anyone has budding surfer or boogie boarder/trainer kite kids or a wife that equally hates camping in motorhomes that could be a fun thing :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Aug

Post by KC7777 »

Hey Kus,

I think we are in Hood River from Aug 6 - 11.

Will have a 12 and 14 yr old good surfers/budding windsurfers and a wife who dislikes camping......all staying in a tent at Maryhill.

Likely hitting Hood River for Mon - Thurs this week too - solo trip.

Keith
Randy

Post by Randy »

The wind forecast for Oregon (and elsewhere) looks dismal. Does anyone think The Gorge will be useable given the lower temperatures? I'm thinking of pushing my trip back until the red returns.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Aug

Post by KUS »

KC7777 wrote:Hey Kus,
I think we are in Hood River from Aug 6 - 11.
thx, having no luck so far with rescheduling my week :roll:

Randy, check
http://www.wind-speed.net/cgi-shl/09-wi ... orecast.pl which I find is good for forecasting the Gorge, sounds like perhaps the desert is the place for a few days, there is wind, just not very heavy stuff :idea: whatcha doing up at 530??
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks KUS, that's a perfect site for me. I will PM you later today.
Randy

Post by Randy »

I'm booked for the 0610 (Jul 17) Coho & hope to be in/on the Gorge later in the day. I'll probably stay at Mary's for a few days then head to Pistol on Wednesday. The wind forecast is for 20-25 knts on Thur, Fri & Sat. I intend to be back near Hood River for the end of the month/into August & hope to meet up with wind addicts then (or before).