FWD Loop motivation

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mortontoemike wrote:"Review of imaging shows some early degenerative change of the right AC joint. As well, there is appears to be a small osteophyte at the footprint of the rotator cuff with some cystic changes in the region. There is some sclerosis over the lateral aspect of the acromion as well. Review of the ultrasound report confirms a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus measuring 1 cm by 1.9 cm." (The tear is permanent.)

probably means that the bottom of my board will forever be pointed towards the water.
Every joint I had ever reviewed showed this type of report :roll: seems like "early degen change" is like the date stamp on these reports. The tear, and most of us have quite a few of these, will just cause lots of scar tissue making it much stronger :twisted: albeit a bit troublesome with range of motion, certainly no excuse to push the buddies ahead in line there, MTM :wink: Besides, I think sailing in a straight line is harder on your shoulder than looping :idea:
And yes, Wdoc, I know when to sheet in.....it's the purposely steering off the road into the tree syndrome :oops: maybe closing my eyes will help :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

KUS wrote:
mortontoemike wrote:"Review of imaging shows some early degenerative change of the right AC joint. As well, there is appears to be a small osteophyte at the footprint of the rotator cuff with some cystic changes in the region. There is some sclerosis over the lateral aspect of the acromion as well. Review of the ultrasound report confirms a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus measuring 1 cm by 1.9 cm." (The tear is permanent.)

Besides, I think sailing in a straight line is harder on your shoulder than looping
Perhaps you should say, a completed loop KUS. It's not the looping that causes the pain. It's the crashing ... :cry: :cry:
I wish my TOW was longer!
KC7777

Post by KC7777 »

probably means that the bottom of my board will forever be pointed towards the water.

Can't wait to see all you guys looping overhead this summer though. And KC777 and FOLO too!
Mike.....you forgot to add the bottom half of the report:

"and upon even further review of imaging we see that the same patient's liver seems to be red tinged, likely caused by repeated rinsings with 750ml of a toxic (yet tasty) reddish liquid."

K
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

KC7777 wrote:
Mike.....you forgot to add the bottom half of the report:

"and upon even further review of imaging we see that the same patient's liver seems to be red tinged, likely caused by repeated rinsings with 750ml of a toxic (yet tasty) reddish liquid."

K
There is nothing "toxic" about red wine.

Good for the stomach. http://multiculturalcookingnetwork.word ... e-stomach/

Good for the heart. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-h ... heart.html

Good for long life. http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/897879 ... e-know-why

Good for sex. http://www.yourtango.com/200929845/red- ... dy-implies

For all we know it will help us to forward loop!!! Looking forward to the summer KC. See you on the water.

And thanks for the original video post WindDoc.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

In the video in the post that started this thread, it looks to me that the sailor is still hooked into the boom lines when he completes the loop. When I chop hop, I'm always out of the lines. Comments as to optimal technique for forward looping, or is it all personal preference?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

personally i always unhook, but i learned back in an era of very short lines. You can loop just fine staying hooked in (that is how you toss a 1-hander), i think it would be one way to stay seriously committed! Landing unhooked will give you more freedom to get waterstarted if you land less than perfectly.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

IMHO Staying hooked in is a drawback to learning good form. It's something you can do AFTER you've learned the rig "throw" properly. Because you need to extend the front arm fully in front of you as well as to windward, staying hooked in will limit the range of motion. Plus, the sail needs to be sheeted out on take off a bit and if your lines are too short, they'll prevent this movement too. There's no reason to stay hooked in unless you want to throw a shaka back at the beach to your buddies with the front hand :D . Besides, landing an over rotated forward loop hooked in will lead to bad things.

I had a look at the video again. He's definitely unhooked.
Poultry in motion
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

thanks for dragging this topic up again, I was pretty content with thinking the other thread was forgotten about. I guess its on again Bru's! that means you mr moo.
GWIND

Liver

Post by GWIND »

OK it's all clear now, it's the flat landings on your back that does
in the liver, not the wine. Thanks MTM
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Hey. Joostio. Here's someone who does a forward loop AND carries a purse!

http://www.continentseven.de/windsurfmove148.html

Not at the same time .... but still ...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

nice clean one, with a ramp like that you can't fail! :D
thanks mtm now ive been on C7 for 1/2 an hr.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

A question for those who can loop. Can you loop on both tacks? Just as comfortable on both? I am comfortable jumping on both tacks even though I ride surf and snow boards regular as opposed to goofy. On skis or the board I only 360 in 1 direction, I rotate clockwise, therefore I suspect I will prefer looping on port tack. Any of this make sense loopers?
eastside

Post by eastside »

Just pull the trigger! If that geriatric Maui mutt can do it so can we.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

we tend to have mostly starboard ramps around here so that's the strong side for most. If you sail around looking for a good ramp on port you will get less chances and wont learn as fast. I learned down in ventana on port, so i feel ok on both tacks. at nitinat, the ramps can come from either way though so you have to be ready! :lol:
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

Re looping on both tacks, you'll definitely have a favoured tack but fight the good fight and get them going on both tacks. For me I was always a better starboard jumper but looping came more easily on port because a) I was already doing sketchy off-balanced nose first landings on port so I didnt have to unlearn alot of firmly entrenched muscle memory on that tack and b) right / dominant hand is back hand on port which makes yanking on the boom easier.

My advice for learning depends on age and where you are sailing. If you are young and sailing in a place with big wind and jumps ie Gorge then go with the 'sheet in and hold on' approach. You'll do endos and break a bunch of boards in the process but will look like badass. If you are not in that category then follow the Remko / Jem Hall / Wymeroo method. My $0.02.
Last edited by Gdawg on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.