To windsurf or kite?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Didn't mean to offend Windoc. I notice you get more air on a windsurfer than I do with my kites :idea: Good on yah. & those loops are impressive. I gotta' go mow my lawn :?
Thermals are good.
Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

I agree with winddoc. Do both! It's ws247 and my chosen sports for our lifestyle and looking forward to our (school age) kids learning both, since they are getting exposure to many forms of wind/watersports. Both windsports take time/energy/commitment to learn and improve skills. It really helps if everyone is having fun and interested in chasing the wind, plus understands the nature of the fickle elements and how it can impact plans.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

Post by JL »

I can't argue with that Sandy :P In fact, it's a great idea :!: RainX is another pursuing both :P
Thermals are good.
Wavos Rancheros

Windsurfer theme song?

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

"They've got strings
But you can see
There are no strings on me"

Pinocchio

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/pinocchi ... trings.htm
winddude

Post by winddude »

I won't post because I'm sure I'll offend some kiteboarders... wait that doesn't stop me :twisted:

I kind of see kiteboarding moves as little girls gymnastics from bar. Windsurfing moves are way more dynamic, diverse and challenging.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Bo

Post by Bo »

jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

Access to the water decided for me. Where I live there are no good beaches from which to launch, so I gave up on kiting and kept windsurfing. You can sail more different places (poor launches) windsurfing.
But kiting does not require a truck to haul your gear around. You can bus to the beach. Believe it or not, this aspect is a major consideration. Storing gear and hauling it around is half the job and is quite costly.
Where will you sail most of the time? Do whichever suits your water access situation best.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Kiters and windsurfers, why can't we be friends?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8[/youtube]

As stoked as I am on kiting, I personally find the wakestyle flippitey spinning stuff kind of boring to watch. Impressive feats and very challenging I'm sure, but not very exciting. And I'd say the same thing about freestyle windsurfing, which I know is incredibly difficult but it looks awkward to me. Not unlike "performance SUPing" ... just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Ha, loving this, how many different wind/surf cultures can I insult in one paragraph? :lol:

Anyways, here's some grist for the mill....pro windsurfer and pro kiter surfing massive Cloudbreak in Fiji. And I will admit, the windsurfer is ripping it up way more impressively than the kiter, fluid and going big....maybe the kiter is at the far edge of his wind range, or maybe going backside and the wind angle is wrong, dunno. But the windsurfer is killing it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7suKfDzSQI[/youtube]
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

dude that's your JEEP kite! :shock: No wonder it is shreading so easilly.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

..."his kite miles away from his board...." this guy really knows his stuff, eh :roll:
Pretty ancient topic, I think it's been done to death....Yep, volume of gear is a killer but when you have 3 kite boards and 3-4 kites for all conditions and then a SUP, there's not a whole lot of difference.....just lighter and that makes a difference for the geriatrics. I am in the process of transition but hope to windsurf til I die.

The "Kite when it's lite" thing doesn't really hold water, a difference of 3-4 knots maybe when you can still kite but not plane on a windsurfer w/ a 7 (and boring as hell on both after about 15 minutes)....but that too can become critical as our winds seem to be giving us less and less with this global climate change.....and it is a change, whether related to global warming or not :!: the days of Kook St every spring day after work on a lit 4.7 are gone :idea:

Kiting is much easier to get proficient at than windsurfing (esp since most beginners use crappy windsurf gear, the new stuff is much better but nobody has any of it) and the new "immediate results and gratification" generation is drawn to that....that's why I think many will also give up kiting again too as they get challenged by the mediocrity plateau :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

yup, and the last few seasons at whistler i hear a lot of boarders say they are switching back to skis, because the riding is too hard on the body ... may not be true for the kite cruisers, but it should be mentioned there seem to be more injuries, and more inherent dangers with kiting.. ask any kiter, and they, or a close friend has had a bad hurt, or a very serious close call :!:
JL

Post by JL »

If you 'mow the lawn' kiting is suitable for the middle aged & elderly. The kiters getting hurt are inexperienced or pushing the envelope 8)
Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I go windsurfing a couple times a year and find it much much harder on the body!
curses - foiled again!
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Chatted with the owner of NSI yesterday regarding what are the hot water sports these days. She mentioned that demand for kiting products is declining. SUP is pretty good, but she said that this is also beginning to slow down. She is on the lookout/anticipating [for] the next wind/water sport. I suspect she will be on this before most of us. (She also mentioned that wake surfing has picked up steam, although this does require a boat with a special wake/wave creating device.)
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Nothing new here. Pretty much agree with all that's been said. The most important is the comment about 'doing what works best for you and your situation' That's the ticket.

I have a pile of buddies who kite and they keep telling me it's time to switch over, 'cause it's so much better' for this reason or that. The reality is that each of us has only so much money and time to go around. I've been windsurfing for over a decade. If you put the time in and get proficient, it feels really good (and I'm sure the same is true for kiting...). Everything is in close and in control. It's pretty safe, and it's always challenging if you push yourself to try new things.

Gear makes a big difference too. WS gear has been improving rapidly in the last 10-15 years. Anything older then 8-10 years is pretty much obsolete now, or at least significantly more difficult to use. On modern gear you can get by on fewer boards/sails, and it's much easier to use, so some of the arguments about one vs. the other aren't that meaningful.