Port Alberni Kite Launch

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
kitesurferdale

Port Alberni Kite Launch

Post by kitesurferdale »

ANNOUNCEMENT...ATTENTION PLEASE

Thank you everyone for a good season, the winds were not as plentiful as they have been in previous years here in Port but still a great summer. I would like to make a few statements/comments for the future of our kiteboarding site in Port Alberni.

Myth: There is tons of debris in the water all the time which makes kiteboarding/foilboarding/windsurfing dangerous and wrecks gear.

While it is true this is a working harbor and at times we have some debris, our location is like everywhere else on this coast...from time to time there is a piece of wood or log floating around but by no means is it a hazardous place. On extremely high tides or for a day after a log barge dumps have I ever really noticed any noticeable debris.

Concern: No safe harbor if you break down

Yup this is definitely a tough spot to break down, however if you are proficient to launch here you definitely would be able to get yourself to a number of piers downwind to pull yourself and your gear up and out. I personally have swam on a few occasions back to centennial pier with no problems. My only real though is for those that are reckless and don't think of potential implications of actions...maybe you should stay away.

Concern: Launch is scary

This is a unique launch and as such one should approach with caution for their first attempt. I don't recommend beginners launching and sailing in the harbor, China Creek or Nitinaht is the better option, however if your comfortable going upwind and have a little experience with kiting you will have no problem with a little help from a local the first time. The key here is the pre-rigging of the kites, bar/lines on the upper deck, if you do that right then everything is smooth like butter. Other than that it really is like every other spot you launch from, helper holds your kite into the wind, you ready yourself and launch.

Issue: Reliability

Over the last two years The Port Authority and myself have been working hard on solving and foreseeing problems. We have had a number of things occur which have caused access issues. Last year and Early this season in particular we definitely had challenges and downtime, but by mid spring this year we have had 100 % access with 0% downtime.

Request: The Pier systems belong to the Port Authority and they have been extremely cooperative in making this launch a reality and keep it up and running. Being Piers and a working harbor everything is being subjected to weather, tides, currents from ships etc etc and things can come up. Recently a shackle pin came out releasing one side of the lower pier to swing away causing minor damage (fixed) However it came to light that some people were aware that damage had been done but never commented to anyone. We would like to request should anyone happen to notice anything out of the ordinary with the piers to PLEASE PLEASE contact myself (Dale 250-731-5175) or Port Authority (Ron Kyle 250-731-5437) immediately so that we can take corrective action quickly.

I hope those that have sailed here enjoy it as much as I and spread the good word. We need to continue working on promoting this amazing spot so all can come enjoy this amazing valley and all it has to offer. Naturally we encourage constructive and reasonable suggestions but please consider that for the most part all future development falls on us as users to implement.

Thank you!

Dale Moffatt
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!