Need new pump

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Spike

Need new pump

Post by Spike »

Where is the best place to get a GOOD pump?
Chris

Pump.

Post by Chris »

Canadian tire.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Walmart, $11.99. They are yellow and look to be the same as a $24.99 pump from Capital Iorn.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
littlekitegirl

Post by littlekitegirl »

I second the Walmart suggestion. Last year, the ones Cdn tires sold had funny valves (but maybe they're different this year). Go to walmart, then put some stickers on it as it'll look like everybody else's on the beach!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

man, they are available anywhere pretty much....support Canadian-owned stores and outlets :P try yer local hardware store first even if it means an extra $2, the invisible costs are tremendous and already noticable :evil: sorry, I guess I'm a hypocrite sometimes but I'm taking a stand in support of local stores which are being rubbed out in favor of Wallyworld and other boxes :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Penguin wrote:Walmart, $11.99. They are yellow and look to be the same as a $24.99 pump from Capital Iorn.
This is the exact same pump with the exact same mold marks and writing. My guess is that they come out of the exact same factory. There handles break in the exact same place.

I agree, supporing local/Canadian is worth a premium, but 100%-- I don't have an unlimited budget.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Canadian tire has a tall one for $15. It is the best pump for easy pumping and volume I've used. Use two hands and Buy Chinese - er Canadian.
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

clip your pump to your kite, lubricate the shaft( vaseline etc.), pump with 2 hands (keep the explicit comments to yourselfs please) & your pump will provide YEARS of service...(If you unscrew the top of the cylinder & lubricate the seal as per instructions!!!)
Thermals are good.
Ridelikehell

Post by Ridelikehell »

any of the pumps that are supplied with the kites or the same ones you buy at CT or Wlamart work just fine. I've never broken on in over 6 years of kiting: the key is to use two hands and keep it lubed. Remeber I'm still talking about your kite pump here!

If you use one hand, you can't grab one side of the handle, your hand must grab the middle of the handle above the shaft without covering the air intake.

A good thing to do if you can't remeber to lube your pump at home is to wipe the oil off your dipstick from your vehicle a few times and use that to lube the seals inside the pump. It's also a good idea to wipe the pump out first.