~~~~~4j~~ Videos

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey 4J, I thought one of those tunes was a new one from Corb Lund for the first few bars, musta been your rockabilly. Hurtin' Albertan would have gone well with that too! Maybe change the lyric to:
Hurtin Albertin
No time for to loose
Too much oil money
Never enough clews

That sounds like a great project, could we do some kind of windless weekend or evening collaboration? Anyone got better than Windows Moviemaker software?
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

It all depends on what kind of quality we want I guess. We could make something simple with simple cameras and software for "internet quality", or we could involve someone that knows what they are doing. Film school student? Wasn't there one posting here a while ago? I'm sure that someone knows someone that would be interested...

For Mattdog's video I crashed Movie Maker several times. I had to split it up into several pieces to process it, then compile it all together at the end (with loss of quality). If I keep doing this I think I may get better software. Any suggestions? No, I am not going to get an Apple.

I'm tempted to get a moderate quality HD video camera with waterproof housing and float around in the surf to get close-up footage. I'll need to invest in a flourescent helmet though. And maybe I could fit my downhill body armour under my drysuit.

Anyway, if there is sufficient interest in a film project we should start a new thread and start to get serious!

Funny that you mention Corb Lund...I went to see him perform in small town in southern Alberta....ranching area...the atmosphere was definitely different to "Island" culture...it was very much distilled to the best of the true rural Alberta. It was fun to watch lots of cheery big hats in plaid flannel and worn out boots dancing to good "true" country music. If I make a video of windsurfing at the Oldman Dam I may dub in a tune or two of his. His family has a ranch near there.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Another short video (2 minutes) from the 25 - 35 knot day of March 18, 2009. Lots of footage of Ozy. Just some clips I took as I sat in my truck and had lunch.

Windsurfing Columbia Beach March 18, 2009

Unfortunately Ozy's helmetcam footage was cut short. We missed out on some great views! I think the camera got knocked and stopped. We'll have to try again Ozy. Thanks for taking the camera for a spin anyway.

Oh, I'm working on an XP computer, so I wasn't able to export the video as HD...I'll upgrade it later...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

thanks for posting the video ~4j.. i will try to sail more impressively next time (and avoid walking in front of you too) ! :oops:
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

downwind dave wrote:thanks for posting the video ~4j.. i will try to sail more impressively next time (and avoid walking in front of you too) ! :oops:
Yah, the footage doesn't really do anyone justice for that day. We all really need personal videographers to document our best moves. I didn't spend too much time editing either...I could make things a bit better with more time.
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Hey 4J, Sony Vegas works great but there's a bit of a learning curve. THing is with editing software they all bend your head till you get to know how they work, but you should choose one that is going to do ALL the stuff you might eventually want to do, and I think I would recommend vegas for that, but there are more than a few choices...

If you are rendering to 720p, or 1280 x 720 resolution, you can also try uploading to youtube as HD video. The screen size looks to be quite a bigger with youtube, and there servers are usually ok even if you're on a choppy connection. Here's a sample, user has to click on the HD button to watch in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBcDvZmbhA

I still wish there was a video "gallery" close to the bigwavedave home page, that would let people browse through video links. It would help give some ideas for collaborations or editing together a bunch of stuff into a film.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Just checked out Sony Vegas. Thanks Wavos! The Platinum Pro version looks like it will do everything I need and more....I now probably need a new computer though.

I saw that Youtube now does HD. It looks pretty good. However, I prefer not to use Youtube at the moment - I'll stick with Vimeo. The quality is pretty good (in 720p HD) and I like the site overall.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

New Helmetcam video posted! I finally got Paul L to try the GoPro! I only got 17 minutes of footage, but as expected, it is great! Thanks Paul! Edited down to 3 minutes. Includes some forwards, off the lips, and a push loop. I did some slo-mo to better see the moves.

Paul L Helmetcam, Columbia Beach, March 18, 2009
JL

Post by JL »

Irie ... Great video ... The slow motion is very effective !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Very cool. The push loop is sweet. I see his secret loop technique is using the underhand grip...
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I quickly edited my helmetcam footage from March 18 at CB. It is mostly clips of me attempting jumps and then wiping out. Ah, what a great day.

~~~~~4j~~@CB 20090318
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

A short video that shows what the conditions can be like in Alberta. I actually didn't sail this day because I felt my 3.5 was too big. A 67L board would have been nice too...

Video: Windsurfing/Kiteboarding Keho Lake, Alberta, May 5, 2009

The guy windsurfing was OP on his 3.7. I'm not sure what size the kites were.

Google Map of Keho Lake, Alberta
JL

Post by JL »

Windy !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That looks fun!

How often is it windy there? I have to go to Alberta for a wedding in July, and was wondering whether I should bring my gear.

I am guessing there is some cold, deep water there, despite the chop making it look like it might be relatively shallow.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

looks pretty intense! is that kehookipa beach? and wheres the cowpokin tunes!