CB etiquette

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Paul L

CB

Post by Paul L »

This is from the Maui Kiteboarding Association. Everything one needs to know about ROW's is on this web site....

KITEBOARDING PRIORITY RULES

Kitesurfers have to cooperate with other water users, and there is a system of priority the helps establish hierarchy for right of way.

Windsurfers, and Other Sailing Craft. Situation: When you encounter another sailing craft, you should give way.
Definition: A kite is technically a sailing vessel, BUT the lines, large window, and unpredictability, generally make them incompatible with operating close to other sailboats.

What to do: give way to other sailing craft, keep large buffers between you and other sailing craft. Moderate you speed when close to other sailing vessels, and ride in a predictable pattern. Never fly your kite over a windsurfer or sailing boat. you could clip their mast or worse. Otherwise you should observe normal sailing rules.[/quote]
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

CB issues are very site specific :idea: good to review the wave section tho
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Should make a big sign/map at C.B with the rules on it.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

BUMP 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
heffe222

Starboard / Port Tack

Post by heffe222 »

Thanks for the bump, KUS, and for the rules link, JL, but no wonder there is confusion about right-of-way (under ordinary sailing conditions). The Maui Kiteboarding Association seems to have conflated Starboard and Port tacks in their rules. ???

For definition, see: http://en.mimi.hu/boating/starboard_tack.html

In the interest of safer wind sports

:wink:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Starboard / Port Tack

Post by winddoctor »

heffe222 wrote:
Thanks for the bump, KUS, and for the rules link, JL, but no wonder there is confusion about right-of-way (under ordinary sailing conditions). The Maui Kiteboarding Association seems to have conflated Starboard and Port tacks in their rules. ???

Maybe I missed something. Where in the rules have they conflated the two tacks?
Poultry in motion
winddude

Re: Starboard / Port Tack

Post by winddude »

winddoctor wrote:
heffe222 wrote:

Maybe I missed something. Where in the rules have they conflated the two tacks?
Nope don't think so,
"The kiteboarder on port tack gives way to the kiteboarder on starboard tack."(Maui kite rules) has the same meaning "starboard has right of way over port"(normal way of saying??)
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

The rules are understood and correct, but what I find confusing is that the Kiteboarding Association seems to describe a starboard tack as a port tack - n'est-ce pas?
scarlet

Post by scarlet »

It does make sense. Look directly at the widow. If your kite is on the right side between 12 and 3 you will be heading to the right with the wind coming over your right shoulder ... A STARBOARD tack. Similarly, if kite flying on the left side of the window between 9 and 12 you must be heading left with wind coming over left shoulder.....PORT tack
scarlet

Post by scarlet »

Make that window not widow :oops:
winddude

Post by winddude »

Same thing as windsurfing, left hand forward = port, right hand forward = starboard. Unless your riding backwinded, sliding etc,
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
ambientrax

right of way...

Post by ambientrax »

I treat every kiter / windsurfer the same on the water, even if I have the right of way, I generally assume the other sailor has no clue as to who has the right of way, so I am just cautious and give the right of way. give and take... the right of way is something that should be given not complacently taken.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

But we should also be expecting newbies to learn quickly and minimize confusion. Some new car drivers may not know that at intersections a yield or stop sign means the drivers on the other road have right of way. But we don't expect that. If you have a through road and the cross streets have stop signs or red lights you drive at a constant speed and don't hesitate. If you were to drive like every intersection is a 4-way stop, it's going to cause more accidents overall. Yeah, you still need to do your best to avoid the person blowing the stop or red light. Sailors had avoidance rules way before those on the road figured they needed them too. mariners created them because collisions were devestating. Still holds true.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I agree - it is important that the "rules of the water" are understood and followed because it is the indecision that often causes the crash / incident. Respectful and friendly instruction / direction would go a long way to accelerating the knowledge of newcomers (or even experienced sailors who don't seem to care or are oblivious). I am sure I inadvertently get it wrong from time to time and would rather the other sailor let me know / remind me than get p***d off or worse.