Weather Station I want to donate to a good location

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I vote Clover Would be great to get a nice wind read from there. Very willing to help out but wont be back until mid April.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Clover is great but we might have to get a dam city worker to install... could take weeks!

I'm sure the parasailors would like to have a location close to their launch area... get them to pitch in for a digital display unit!
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Dave always carries a knife in the line up at JR...but I'd be concerned about the BWD mobile all by itself on the beach.
Give'R
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

If any one can take a photo of what this thing looks like I could possibly pitch it to the City.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

It's self contained, no power is needed.

uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

Weather station location

Post by uddereef »

Does that weather station need a Internet connection?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

It doesn't need an internet connection, only if you want to share the data. It comes with a digital display to show you the readings. You can use it on its own and just look at the data, or hook it up to a PC and store the data, or hook it up to your router and send the data to a website, or use a cellular modem and send the data to a website.
morewind

Post by morewind »

thinking about wireless internet connections at Clover. The ShawOpen Wifi signal is strong at Cook and Dallas, and I think Shaw has repeaters all along the Dallas waterfront, so maybe a decent signal at Clover? Good line of sight for sure. With a Shaw internet account you are allowed to connect 3 devices. I would donate one of my 3 Shaw wifi device connections if this is technically possible.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

It's possible. I'm actually using the ShawOpen wifi signal at Island View to upload the data from the weather station. The problem is that it needs AC power. I connected the digital console of the weather station to a wireless bridge and that connects to the wifi. But both of these things need power. I suppose it could be powered with solar and a battery but that would have to be built.

The wireless range on the weather station to the console is up to 300m. So we may be able to get a signal to one of the houses that are closest to Clover Point and then upload the data using ShawOpen. We'd have to find a willing person and then test it out. If we get the go ahead from the city it may be worth a try.

The cellular modem is pricey but may be the simplest solution.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

make sure to get a good roaming rate for the cell service... in Cook St village my phone connects to AT&T
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

What about on a cabin at point no point? They have a few cabins right on the water, and structures you could mount to, and run cables up.

you'd have to be crazy to break in there and destroy private property

It just seems odd to put it at clover when we have ogden and trial right there

But I suppose sheringham isn't far from point no point either
Attachments
point no piont.JPG
point no piont.JPG (59 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
JL

Post by JL »

We also have the Gordons beach weather station & cam. Cell service is 'roaming' West of Sooke :roll: In this N. wind Cordova bay becomes interesting. How about approaching the http://www.beachhousevictoria.com/ :?:
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:We also have the Gordons beach weather station & cam. Cell service is 'roaming' West of Sooke :roll: In this N. wind Cordova bay becomes interesting. How about approaching the http://www.beachhousevictoria.com/ :?:
that has been kicked around for a Cam, given the wind hole below the access there tho it is likely not going to be very accurate for the weather station :? and IV and Kelp are pretty indicative of outside wind. Maybe a home on Parker for this one or directly on the beach at Agate?

We do get about 6-8 NE days there a year only tho :roll: but who knows now....maybe this is the new CB afterall :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

oak bay marine group replied to my request for a webcam but the new spot is nice...

maybe a weather station with them at the Marina?
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Right out at the point at SP would be nice too. So we wouldn't have to rely on Ballenas readings. It can be way windier at Ballenas at times so doesn't always help. It would provide more accurate readings for most wind directions at SP.
Why aren't YOU out there?