BWD Oregon Coast Bi-Windsport Wave Camp 2015

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

[f
Last edited by KUS on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

30 MPH is nicely powered and with no real swell to ride I'd probably opt for my 91 FSW because it jumps so much better... but do that same switch at gusts to 40 with logo waves....
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

markus just right click and pick 'copy image url'
then use Image

likea so
KC7777

Oc

Post by KC7777 »

After looking at Kus's links.....I am officially scared.

K
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

Repeated with images shown for convenience (and 'impact')!
nanmoo wrote:...when you probably wished you had more volume on the inside in the wind bubble / impact zone of death.
KUS wrote::idea: would be that zone here..
http://bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displayim ... ?pid=16259
KUS wrote:or this one
http://bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displayim ... play_media
KUS wrote:or this one

KUS wrote:ok ..this stuff never works for me :roll: :oops:
downwind dave wrote:markus just right click and pick 'copy image url'
then use Image
Like DWD said (nice shot) - just hit "quote" to see how I coded your pictures.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

KC7777 wrote:After looking at Kus's links.....I am officially scared. K
Tsawwassan and I were chating down in PSC about something being 'missing' compared to South Oregon - it was the sense of being 'completely awake' you get from the pump of adreneline caused by fear! :shock: :D :wink:

A couple more "Ka Booms".
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Oc

Post by Tsawwassen »

KC7777 wrote:After looking at Kus's links.....I am officially scared.

K
This is my favourite of Kus's photos. It always brings a smile to my face. It was my second trip to the coast and my last day there. I got to the parking lot on the hill and was looking out at this thinking holy #!@# Kus and I were watching crazy Tom get worked by those close outs and I was terrified! It took me an hour to rig up and I walked really slowly down the beach, watching those waves pounding the shore! When I reached the waters edge I meet one of the locals coming in... He says "what did you rig" Me... " A 4.7" Local... You're going to get KILLED out there"
I turned around de-rigged and drove back to Vancouver!
Live to sail another day, just walk away. :D

C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

Tsawwassen wrote:This is my favourite of Kus's photos. It always brings a smile to my face. It was my second trip to the coast and my last day there. I got to the parking lot on the hill and was looking out at this thinking holy #!@# Kus and I were watching crazy Tom get worked by those close outs and I was terrified! It took me an hour to rig up and I walked really slowly down the beach, watching those waves pounding the shore! When I reached the waters edge I meet one of the locals coming in... He says "what did you rig" Me... " A 4.7" Local... You're going to get KILLED out there"
I turned around de-rigged and drove back to Vancouver!
Live to sail another day, just walk away. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's saying something cause your usually willing to go runniing into 'burning buildings' that stop me in my tracks.

I also have a VERY health respect for the mackers at Pistol River (having endured many a long swims from the threshold of the outside. :shock: :? :oops:

Funny how even the 'small' shore break can look big at times.

:? Not sure how this happened!?! :idea: Someone must have borrowed his gear!

I still remember the sound this particular wave made! :shock:
photo credit: More Wind (with thanks)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Holy crap 5 pages long and I just started this the other day. I wonder if this thread will keep up this kind of steam right into June!?!?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

nanmoo wrote:Holy crap 5 pages long and I just started this the other day. I wonder if this thread will keep up this kind of steam right into June!?!?
You better believe it! I've had windsurfing (wet) dreams most nights in the last week..
C36 wrote: Nanmoo: stokeometer (92 litre FSW) and I (92 Quad) recently traded boards in 30 mph east wind and 2' chop at Boundary Bay. stokeometer wasn't convinced, but he may change his mind if we do it again at the Cape! :shock: :twisted: :D :wink:
I definitely was convinced by the quad's prowess on any sort of mini-wave we got that day in comparison to my FSW and definitely would prefer it in any sort of real wave situation! I just prefer/am used to the get-you-up-and-going drive of the single fin, which you don't get as much with the quad.

I think a thruster could be the best of both worlds, though :twisted:

All these impact pics are reinforcing that I'm gonna need a spare everything for the trip.

BTW, Dave/C36, where do you sleep with all the gear in your van?!? I'm already thinking I'm gonna need to add a Thule box to my shred and breakfast accommodation setup for when I get spare sails..
"I loop therefore I am"
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

stokeometer wrote:...I definitely was convinced by the quad's prowess on any sort of mini-wave we got that day in comparison to my FSW and definitely would prefer it in any sort of real wave situation!...
8) :D
stokeometer wrote:...All these impact pics are reinforcing that I'm gonna need a spare everything for the trip...I'm already thinking I'm gonna need to add a Thule box to my shred and breakfast accommodation setup for when I get spare sails...
:idea: Spares/redundancy is a good idea within reason (speaking as someone who does spend a fair amount of time in the water there). Spare sails (if you choose to bring them) can be rolled out, stacked and rolled back up again to reduce the space needed.
:idea: If you don't have a spare and there is no back-up to borrow, most shops in Hood River could send something overnight courier to Gold Beach, if required.
stokeometer wrote:...BTW, Dave/C36, where do you sleep with all the gear in your van?!?...
I sleep in the 'extension' to my van - my tent (double air mattress and doudle sleeping bag) Its a hassle to take down, pack and set-up when staying mobile (day trips to Florence), but nice when you are in one spot as it frees up space in the van - although as BWD and Mrs Johnnyman can atest following the 'grand tour' last year, most of the space inside my van is being used :roll: :oops: ).

My set-up may be considered an upgrade by some who choose to stay at the Curry County fair ground in Gold Beach. :?

But is more modest than some of my neighbours 'camping' at the Tuttle Rock Resort (RV Park) :roll: :wink:

And then there are those who shall remain nameless who choose to plush-out at the Inn of the Beachcomber :D :wink:
Last edited by C36 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

n n
Last edited by KUS on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

C36 wrote:
KC7777 wrote:After looking at Kus's links.....I am officially scared. K
Tsawwassan and I were chating down in PSC about something being 'missing' compared to South Oregon - it was the sense of being 'completely awake' you get from the pump of adreneline caused by fear! :shock: :D :wink:
Well, at PSC it sure helps to have a a daily dose of a few Baja Fogs to take any sense of adrenaline-fueled fear down a notch or two. Difference in Oregon is, you have the outlandish inconvenience of having to scramble across a few dunes to dig up the stashed Fireball rather than having someone simply hand you a beer before you take a few more steps to the warm solar shower. Raises the hair on the back of my neck thinking about those dune hikes, stumbling around like a rasping, incoherent man dying of thirst in the desert!
Poultry in motion
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

KUS, that pic is epic!!

C36, thanks for the info on spare gear. Also, check out my take on the "car extension" option:

I might bring this "add on" option along for extra comfort, especially if it's quite warm at night.
"I loop therefore I am"
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

in! See most of you down there, if not sooner!