SanPareil/Pipers/ColumbiaBeach

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

SanPareil/Pipers/ColumbiaBeach

Post by Teabag »

I have read the wiki, but missing information about Pipers for kiteboarding on the NW? (good for windsurfing but what about kiteboarding, is it too gusty there, never went???)

I was also wondering about which place would be the best if:

2: you bring someone that is learning to fly the trainer kite/hang out while you are kiting, is one of the three places above (CB/SP/PL) would be the best by far for someone to just fly trainer and hang out all day or all of these places are pretty similar? (I have seen CB and SP and probably would not say to a friend/acquaintance to fly the trainer all day while I’m having fun on the water) How is SP for hang out, any cover from the wind not far by?

3: And what beaches has the best/longest downwind stretch so that someone who had enough trainer kite flying 12+ hours and also a 4-5 tries on the water with & without board would progress during this wonderful Saturday NW wind day.

Thanks again for any info regarding these spots, I'll do the same when I become familiar with these spots.

Ian
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

San Pareil by far the best spot to fly a trainer if the tide is out far enough for there to be some sand. As for tomorrow there will be some sand showing in the morning for a couple of hours. Wind will be lightest then too maybe! Also a good place to get a break from the wind because usually there isn't much. :lol: Let's hope tomorrows forcast doesn't fizzle.
As for Kiting at Pipers, DON"T. I've only seen one guy try and it wasn't pretty. WAY too gusty, hard to keep kite up. :( When he did get out a ways the wind stopped and his kite fell from sky. :x Lots of swimming and he lost his board. Don't think skill level matters at Pipers. :D
Why aren't YOU out there?
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Also I think there is some good beaches between San Pareil and Pipers. Some one else can tell you about that, cause I don't know for sure.
Why aren't YOU out there?
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Teabag, where are you from? Don't believe a thing Ray says about SP... he might be a bit biased. 8) Check out Eagle point in North Nanaimo on a NW if the tide is out for one of the nicest beaches you've ever seen. Try Roland Rd in Nanoose on a SE if it's a mid-tide. Do believe everything Ray says about kiting at Piper's, SP and CB are much better options. Snapper, Mattdog and others who kite often around here could give more tips.