Alternative riding spots

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
AdWiJo1988

Alternative riding spots

Post by AdWiJo1988 »

Hey all,

Just curious whether anyone has any experience riding either Witty's Lagoon, Sooke Basin or the Esquimalt Lagoon?? (wind direction allowing and all) Sooke Basin seems decent if you're proficient at self-launching/wet launching nice open bay with minimal traffic, not a ton of tidal action and it seems to get a nice consistent thermal on sunny afternoons.

Let's hear your thoughts on these spots!
JL

Post by JL »

Here is a great start: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Sailing_Guide & Sooke Basin DOES have a lot of current & is tidal. :idea:
Thermals are good.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

ESQ lagoon is great for a king tide sou'eastern.. usually happening in winter.. when IV is too crazy high wind and cook st looks like a death wish.. the lagoon provides some refuge if they don't close it
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Wittys and Esquimalt lagoons are both too gusty as the prevailing westerly is coming across high land first. If you catch a rare SW then they are great. But as Adrian said that is usually the winter.

I have windsurfed the Sooke basin and it was fabulous, but that was about 15 years ago and I can't even remember the wind direction. Normally people don't kite there.

Just go to the open ocean spots where everyone else is. If you are looking for a safer place then those lagoons are not since they are full of gusts that will pick you up and then drop you and your kite will fall out of the sky.
curses - foiled again!
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

spots

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Speaking form experience. those spots are all unreasonably gusty. Not like 15-20 gusty, more like 4-25 gusty. There is the odd day at the lagoon, on a SE but that is a rare thing. Plus the fecal count in there is off the charts. Stick with the pack, there is a reason we all go to the established spots.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Marty just wants to keep all the epic alt spots to himself!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
AdWiJo1988

Post by AdWiJo1988 »

How about Sidney Spit when the wind fills in steady west? Nice sandy shore, good size bay.
JL

Post by JL »

Great spot. :P
Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I live about 300m from Whiffin Spit and after 10 years of dog walking there, am super keen to kite it. However, after many tries, partial successes, the occasional win, and a lot of fails, I've come to realize why people don't kite there. The wind just isn't very good or reliable. But especially when Gordons is a 10 minute drive away, with its steady westerly.

I spent a few years thinking all these old kiters are so conservative, too jaded to explore, etc. Now realize it was more about maximizing probabilities. And when we are attached with all these string to a floating engine in the sky, you want as many factors in your favour you can get. Really not ideal to have it fall out of the sky in a 0kt lull then re engage in a 30kt gust.

x2 on advice above....stick with the crowd, there's a reason they are at the spots they are. And if you must explore the lesser spots, especially solo.....take extra precautions and stay safe!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I wrote to Esquimalt mayor and asked for a staircase to be installed in either saxe point or macauly point
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
AdWiJo1988

Post by AdWiJo1988 »

I live up the hill overlooking the small houses along westcoast road right before Gordon's beach, I'll definitely have to start riding out there. Consistently good from what I see!
JL

Post by JL »

8) As long as your ready for a self launch & can self rescue give Tugwell a try :P http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Gordons_Beach
Thermals are good.
markt

Post by markt »

what about the lee side of Trial island on a SE for flat water conditions? :shock:
Anyone?
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

not exactly local, but I was wondering about Buttle Lake? Seems like that area can get a decent afternoon thermal (and is ~2hrs closer than nimkish)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What about portage inlet? On a strong westerly it looks like a good flatwater spot. Anyone ever tried?
Don't forget to bring a towel!