Search found 263 matches

by Mattdog
Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 am
Forum: Directions to Island Sailing Spots
Topic: Comox Valley Kiteboarders
Replies: 2
Views: 1909

Wow, good effort. Now I'm confused. I'm closer to Comox than Victoria (Parksville). Which site should I patronize? BWD is mostly viccies. Do we need a mid Island site too ? Nah There's only four of us who post. Two kiters and two wind surfers ... :wink: Do you guys get any decent NW high pressure st...
by Mattdog
Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:11 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Helmets
Replies: 29
Views: 6993

I read, If you hit your head once every 100 sessions, you will escape injury or death for, on average, 9,999 sessions. i.e. the rest of your kite-addicted life.

Those odds aint bad.

But If you hit your head every session while wearing a helmet, you will escape injury for, on average, 99 sessions.
by Mattdog
Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:00 pm

How free do you want to be Kook ? Free of this world ...
by Mattdog
Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:41 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Nitinaht Lake Wind Reports
Replies: 24
Views: 7415

It's okay Kus, I hear JL has been playing with fans and your voodoo doll
by Mattdog
Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:28 am
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Nitinaht Lake Wind Reports
Replies: 24
Views: 7415

Not a bad theory, although that's just a temperature differential issue you are talking about then. It has been cooler last couple of day, not sure about down around Duncan though. Nice 15-18 Soueasterly yesterday for a few hours. How about developing a mathematical formula with all the variables (t...
by Mattdog
Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:37 pm
Topic: whos got what helmut...
Replies: 7
Views: 1915

The Gath helmet has a soft foam liner. I'm no expert but I would think a rigid foam and plastic shell would be better when smashing head first into a hard object. Soft foam would provide next to no real protection, just relying on the plastic shell of the helmet. Kiting impacts unlike kyaking are ve...
by Mattdog
Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:28 pm

Oops I meant to say I wear a skateboarding helmet, not a bike helmet. It has 1" of very hard rigid foam and a thickish plastic skin. Launching unhooked is surely the way to go as most people get killed on land not on the water. I say that but dont practice it probably out of habit and laziness....
by Mattdog
Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am

I guess safety releases mosty work when you are in deep water and have time to react such as when a line breaks, or your harness bar comes unclipped on one side. How you detached from the kite is amazing. There can be good gusts hitting the beach at that spot for sure. This also makes me question th...
by Mattdog
Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:27 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: swapping front and back lines
Replies: 7
Views: 2486

By "oversheeted" I guess you mean overly sheeted out with the longer lines now on the rear. I thought "sheeting" had to be qualified with "in" or "out" since it can of course refer to both ?
by Mattdog
Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:31 pm
Topic: Island Ga$ Prices Suck!
Replies: 16
Views: 4306

Hmmmm. don't think you could get wood chips in an oil tank truck. Maybe bison milk retruning from the NWT though.
by Mattdog
Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:47 am
Forum: News
Topic: New Gordon's Beach weather station
Replies: 4
Views: 1814

Yaaay Dave, that speedometer gaugey display for Columbia keeping the webcam inset would be lovely ... :D
by Mattdog
Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:45 pm
Topic: Parksvile Downwinder.
Replies: 3
Views: 832

Aw shucks,

I'm working all day Tuesday. Might be a little light on Tuesday to chance the trip up ?
by Mattdog
Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:22 am
Topic: Parksvile Downwinder.
Replies: 3
Views: 832

Jl, Let me know if you are coming up tomorrow, I will be free to kite about noon at Columbia. Tuesday I'm busy though. As for a downwinder, how long do you want to go for?. 8 km - Rathtrevor beach to Columbia Beach - that would be good (could try that tomorrow if you want). If its low tide you can g...
by Mattdog
Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:57 pm
Topic: Kite Tour For 5
Replies: 1
Views: 620

Please sign me up ! :)
by Mattdog
Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:50 pm
Topic: Lost Dakine Fusion seat harness
Replies: 5
Views: 1371

Actually I don't drink beer. Something without barley, wheat, oats or rye would do ... :lol: