Search found 76 matches

by bean
Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:15 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: Big air - No Wind
Replies: 6
Views: 2172

thought I'd give this a bump in case anyone's interested - fun for kids!
by bean
Tue May 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: Big air - No Wind
Replies: 6
Views: 2172

Big air - No Wind

For those not at Gordon's or the Lake this weekend (June 1st - 3rd) my bro is doing a trampoline show in Victoria as part of the ramp-up to the Olympics. It's a great show and there's a tent with a bunch of interactive stuff for kids, Q&A with olympic athletes etc. It's at Ship Point - 814 Wharf...
by bean
Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:51 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Kiteboarding in Ottawa
Replies: 1
Views: 847

Britannia Beach is where I learned to sail (after the triangle sail lake phase) and it can be great. Be aware that down river are some pretty serious rapids / falls. More info: http://www.magma.ca/~slaby/wind/news.htm Check for beach closures on the river due to high fecal colifom counts ... serious...
by bean
Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:56 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: "Sharkwater" Fundraising Party
Replies: 5
Views: 1689

nix the period after the .com to see the trailer. Looks pretty amazing. Probably no splashy premier in Nanaimo though, right?
by bean
Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:37 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Is winter sailing really worth it?
Replies: 22
Views: 4523

YES:
head-on ramps
down the line wave-riding

And it makes you look forward to the cold dark wetness of winter. I'm with DWD - summer feels like training for winter to me.
by bean
Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 am
Topic: Drysuit & Wetsuit repairs, care of gear
Replies: 7
Views: 1512

Mattdog: while I normally subscribe to the DIY ethic, the guy at Sundown Diving in Nanaimo did a great job on my neck seal last year. No muss, no fuss, and no dumpster diving for pop-bottles etc. required. D.
by bean
Mon May 15, 2006 10:18 pm
Topic: Gorge trip, Vic Day Weekend
Replies: 3
Views: 1181

If there's wind I'm there. I'll be driving down with a friend in our annual overload the Honda Civic weekend - aka the "declare everything at the border" weekend :wink: . Iwindsurf forecast sucks hard right now but I won't decide anything 'till Wednesday or Thursday.
by bean
Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:19 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Chinook Extensions: lace 'em up right
Replies: 7
Views: 2025

Being the most impatient rigger, I use and love the downhaul pulley. It stays threaded on your extension and all you have to do is hook it into the grommet and pull. There's no resistance so max downhauling is easy and it never gets locked-up. Cons - a teeny bit of added weight and the grommet is a ...
by bean
Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:05 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Yukon ho!!
Replies: 3
Views: 1003

I spent a couple of weeks at Kluane Lake (before I got back into sailing) and they get a strong silt-laden katabatic wind off the glacier every afternoon. Absolutely beautiful spot with turquiose water but be prepared for some wicked ice cream headaches, especially if you're wasted and naked ... but...
by bean
Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:02 pm
Forum: Directions to Island Sailing Spots
Topic: My new favourite spot!
Replies: 9
Views: 7736

Cool! I've always wanted to windsurf from a sailboat. Brought gear aboard once but there wasn't enough wind. Summer sailing can't come soon enough. :D
by bean
Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Kus, thanks for the info. I had a look around "the mushroom" but the windshadow at the nice launches seemed brutal. I'll have another look when there's more wind (and without a two year old in the back seat yelling "SEE CRABS!!! SEE CRABS!!!). The end of Seagrit Rd. looks promising to...
by bean
Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:37 pm

My new favourite spot!

Ok, I think I have finally solved the mystery of where to sail a northwesterly near Nanaimo. The answer :idea: is Orlebar Point on Gabriola Island. My session today was lame but it was under 15 knots and I don't have BIG gear. Unfortunately I forgot my camera - next time. Getting there: from Nanaimo...
by bean
Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 am
Topic: CB Video
Replies: 19
Views: 3811

Wankers deleted it on me ... over your limit my ass! It's working now (with a new file name), but for how long, I can't say:

http://windisgood.com/MiscPics/CB_New_Years.wmv
by bean
Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:26 am
Topic: CB Video
Replies: 19
Views: 3811

CB Video

Here's the highlight reel from New Year's Day at CB. All the video was taken from a tripod set up in my car in the parking lot and it was zoomed too far out so the action is a little on the small side. It's the first video I've ever edited so ... anyway... with those excuses out of the way - enjoy! ...
by bean
Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:49 am
Topic: big sunday
Replies: 12
Views: 2800

Unfortunately, Paul put his head through the window of his new 4.0. Double ouch!