Search found 193 matches

by Geoffy
Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:43 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Nitinat Road Reports 2016
Replies: 14
Views: 5697

Gone up lots of times in the Prius, just have to respect the day's road condition and drive appropriately (and let all the other's pass you!) But at least it's mine, taking your wife's brand new Audi ... yeah, that's a genetics fail!
by Geoffy
Sun May 29, 2016 7:25 am
Topic: Help us to save Clover Point from a massive sewage plant
Replies: 15
Views: 4769

Much as I hate to admit it, Clover Point is actually a good location and it should improve the waters locally, even though it means I and a few others lose access to windsurfing from the ramp at Clover Point and have to go back to the stairs. Every location has a reason why it should not be in their...
by Geoffy
Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Should I buy???!
Replies: 17
Views: 7516

Gorge shops (Big Winds, etc.) usually have great 2-year old rental learning boards, need to call them to check on it. Rig can come from anywhere.
by Geoffy
Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: wind in nitinat april-May 2016
Replies: 10
Views: 7684

"BTW, what is this Gordon thing ?"

Past Premier of BC with a serious drinking/driving problem. But it was in Maui, therefore must be wind related somehow. :lol:
by Geoffy
Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 am

Looks great now, forecast has changed completely from what I saw before. May consider going up if Gordon's is not on! :)
by Geoffy
Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:54 am

Rain and cool in Port Alberni forecast - not likely to be anything at Nitinat but dampness.
by Geoffy
Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53 pm
Topic: Newbie intro
Replies: 37
Views: 14953

You can also try the Gorge shops for used rental fleet boards (or go to Maui, sail for a week, and bring home a used rental board, there's lots of 110-120L ones there. :D ) 145L is a bit on the big side for a 130 pound person. But the JPs are good boards!
by Geoffy
Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 pm
Topic: Newbie intro
Replies: 37
Views: 14953

Someone mentioned a 100L board. In my opinion too small for early learning and progression, and too small for Horne Lake. At 130 lbs - I would suggest a 115-120 (the little extra makes a huge difference in early planning and waterstarts - as well as upwind drift-home sailing at the end of day at Hor...
by Geoffy
Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:56 am
Topic: Renting gear in Maui
Replies: 18
Views: 7441

Hawaiian Island is gone. NP store rents JP boards, NP sails, good package if you get ahead of time. But Matt is likely your best bet for versatility. And the rental van is a good idea, we got ours through Costco which used one of the major agencies at the airport, but was 30% less than booking direc...
by Geoffy
Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:38 am
Topic: Orthopaedic surgeon recommendations?
Replies: 7
Views: 2918

Sorry to hear of this MF4. Cannot believe that a total tear would not require surgery though, how do they get it to rejoin/realign? Best of luck healing and re-habbing my friend.
by Geoffy
Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am
Topic: Windsurfing, Kiting or Stupid?
Replies: 20
Views: 6488

I think it has great potential as a teaching tool once it's properly designed - think about it, biggest issue is uphauling, that design will weathercock into perfect position every time and float/lay-flat on water with almost no resistance and can be designed to allow a little wind underneath it to ...
by Geoffy
Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 am
Topic: Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?
Replies: 26
Views: 9947

HiYo - sometimes at Nitinat but Carla tore her calf muscle there last week :cry: so she's out for a bit - She's the NL'er, I'm Trinidadian. I'll sail anywhere, IV in winter, Clover Point (don't like the stairs at Cook and point is nicer IMO), Gordos, gorge, Oregon coast etc. I'll be at Clover or Gor...
by Geoffy
Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:48 pm
Topic: Windsurfing La Push, WA
Replies: 5
Views: 2672

Sailed it once on a reasonable (6-foot sets) west swell and light South winds. 101L wave board and 5.3. Wind was cross-on in front of the resort which was do-able and felt really safe. Break was much larger at the south end of La Push and the surfers had rights so I didn't bother going down there. N...
by Geoffy
Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Ahh yes Watertiger (cool name - like Grasshopper!) -- a 7.8 will gain you much attention, but maybe will not be so good for the sailing. In the forecast tab on this website is Randy's Nitinat Forecast, always good to review. A 5.3 and a 6.0 are near ideal sizes for most times at Nitinat, but I do no...
by Geoffy
Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:21 pm

:D :D Welcome - And now for something completely different. Mijn vrouw Carla komt uit Nederland en we varen rond het eiland , net terug van een driedaags weekend op Nitinat. She is on a 294 slalom board and we used 4.5, 5.3, and 6.0 sails with no problems. I sailed a Bic Vivace 282 for many years th...