Hypersonic testing

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Hypersonic testing

Post by Bobson »

:( The Hypersonic testing didn't go as well as planned. Board is a 2003 Starboard Hypersonic 125 DRAM. I was using a 48cm Curtis fin and I'm 220lbs. Feels fast but didn't get a chance to really test it. It's lack of length(shortness) is first thing I noticed. The 2nd thing was the volume(only 125 liters) gotta tack quickly. I didn't get to jibe as I was either overpowered or underpowed so I'll leave the jibe testing for next time. It has a very noticeable double concaves. I'm sorry I can't give you better info but it was an uneventful session. next time!!

The boring stuff..

I got to Pat Bay at 3:45pm and it was blowing 12-14 knots. I rigged up the 9.0 and walked out 200 yards to the edge of the water then another 40 yards until there was enough water so my new 48cm fin didn't touch. I got up and slogged for a minute until getting used to the board being so short. Started planing but still getting used to the board, tacked and fell in. It was now blowing probably 20kts and I was completely overpowered and after hitting each wave I was getting air and the board was flying all over and the fin was spinning out. Not good. I waterstarted but couldn't go downwind back to the beach as I'd get catapaulted each time I tried. I yanked on the adjustable outhaul until the sail was flat but it was now gusting probably 25 kts. Made my way in and derigged the 9.0 and rigged the Ezzy 6.9. BigD showed up and rigged his 6.0(all he had) and Starboard GO 190. Wind was dropping. Got out and had 1 good run powered up in the straps going pretty fast but then wind died down to 10-12 knots and I slogged for 30 mins then came in and talked about booze, babes and bowling. The wind came up a bit so we went out for another 20 mins. Had 2 good planing runs in the straps but couldn't jibe or tack without falling in so got lots of waterstart practice. The board was fantastic for waterstarting. I've got those dialed in now. I could waterstart in 10 kts of wind. Pretty good for me.

I'll keep working this guy as I think he'll be a good board for me to grow with and learn jibes and possibly do some small jumps. We'll see.

Definitely need some Nitnat steady winds to get more info.
Later! 8)
JL

Post by JL »

:) BOBSON: Where is you're Ross Bay update?!..Also how about we get 'Turtle' to sail from mill bay -pat bay for a session & then drop off @ the mill bay ferry!..Jim
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Bobson
Interesting board!! I've read lots about them on the wreck dot forum. Several people call them 'Hyperdemonic' and have either a love hate or hate relationship. I understand they were massively overproduced in '03 = cheap, great deals. Did you get yours used or from 'overstocked'? A very demanding board to sail, and even experts find them almost impossible to tack. Apparently very very twitchy. Amazing speed though, and can keep powered through lulls like nothing else (well maybe Formula)! Several owners considered them the ultimate for mountain lakes where there is lots of wind, but gusty, and flat water. I saw a 'hypersonic cam' video taken on a lake in Calif, and the hyper was passing powered up slalom boards like they were standing still. Seemed like only a few seconds between gybes. Also a video on Wardog's site of a big guy (240 I think?) blasting through gybes in Baja.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Hypersonic testing

Post by Bobson »

:D Sunday's testing went well. I sailed Ross Bay from 10am till 1pm on Sunday the 13th. It was quite gusty and by looking at the Trial Is. winds reports it looks like it was blowing approx 15kts but was quite gusty with lulls of 5kts and gusts to almost 20. I am 220 and was using an Ezzy 6.9m. I started out with a 46cm racing fin but found I spun-out when fully powered and putting lots O' pressure on the fin. I changed and used the 54cm stock freeride from the GO and didn't spinout again. I'll try the 65cm fin when I rig up the 9.0m on this one again and see how it performs. The 54cm seems to work well but what the flip do I know...??

The board schlogs well being 76cm wide but you definitely need some short(sinker) board experience with it as it's only 229cm long and 125 litres. I wouldn't suggest going from a GO to this board as it is night and day from sailing the GO. Being 220lbs+ it is necessary to quick-tack this baby because if you come to a complete stop the nose sinks and if you're slow getting around the mast on the tack you're practicing another waterstart. I'm still working on my quick-tacks but they're coming along. I didn't get a chance to jibe very much but didn't seem that different from the GO in that regard. I'll update more jibing thoughts after my Nitnat trip this weekend.

It powered up onto a plane very quickly. One or two pumps and zoom-zoom!! :twisted: When it was powered up planing it felt very quick and the nose rode was very low to the water although it rode through the chop very smoothly. There was lots and lots of chop around the end of Clover point and it went through it well both upwind and especially downwind. I was worried about catching the nose on the backside of step ramp but didn't happen so all is well. Definitely fastest on a beam reach and seemed easy to get into the strap(which are placed on the outside without inside placements for learning). I really enjoyed sailing with the Ezzy 6.9m. Obviously not as much sail to flip and hang onto but it really seems to hummm along racked back and speeding along even through the big chop.

I'm looking forward to some steady Nitnat winds to get more TOW practice with this guy and see what types of speeds it can attain and get some jibing info. Good thing is I've gotten more waterstart practice two sessions than in one year of sailing my GO's. HA!

Lastly, if you want to take the HS125 out for a spin be at Nitnat this weekend and save me a camping spot. Looking forward to doing some speed testing against anyone who wants to help with more HS testing. L8R!
8)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm hoping to be there (nit). I'll bring along a GPS and laptop so we can have documented bragging rights!
Morley
JL

Post by JL »

8) Sweet report Bobson!! You Da - man....Looking forward to future reports!
Thermals are good.