Kite Race Wednesday July 3rd @ 6:30

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

abetanzo

Kite Race Wednesday July 3rd @ 6:30

Post by abetanzo »

I will be running an informal race off Cook St tomorrow night @ 6:30.

two race divisions with one start: pro (race / surfboards) / free style. Windsurfers are welcome to show us how its done and can participate in any div.

Marks will consist of Brochie Ledge and an inflatable 'offset' mark approx 1-2 nautical miles offshore. The start line will be between a orange Zodiac near Finlayson Point and a pin end mark approximately aligned with Clover point. This Pin end mark will become a turning mark after the start then the finish is between the boat and this mark. 2-3 times around?

for the pro div the course will be: start/Brotchie/ offset mark / pin end mark/ around the course x times / to finish (between boat and pin end)

freestyle course: start/offset/pin end / around x times / to finish.

start time will be @ 6:30 sharp (GPS time) and warning signals will be: 6:25 Ocean Rodeo white flag raised / 6:26 prepatory flag raised (blue with white square) 6:29 prep flag drops / 6:29:30s one whistle / 6:29:50s one whistle for each 9 seconds countdown until start / OR flag dropped and one big loud airhorn.

This is an informal race and simply a start to get interested on a day where there is actually gona be wind.

please let me know if you can help on shore with radio communications. or aboard the zodiac. I will be on CH 09 call sign Ernie!

see ya on the water
Last edited by abetanzo on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I'll be there
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Thats the way to do it, quick and flexible based on the weather. I've been training loads here in NS, getting ready to rip it up back home. Back Friday, ready for races.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Mark arrangement.

Course lengths vary from Pro div @ 5 nautical miles to Twin tip @ 2.... Two times around
Attachments
KiteRace July 3.jpg
KiteRace July 3.jpg (198.26 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Proper Course Area.

Port vs. Starboard rules apply but please avoid causing your fellow racer to tack and alter course to avoid you... when you're nowhere near the offset mark and should tack back!!!!!
Attachments
Kite Race July 3.jpg
Kite Race July 3.jpg (112.78 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

INTERESTED?
Last edited by abetanzo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

So if your right hand is in front in the direction of travel, you're on starboard? And I'm not sure what 'proper course rule' means nor the red triangle in the last graphic. Yes, I think people are interested, you just gotta do it and we'll get used to it. It's the only way to build interest. I'm down there at 5pm.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

"Right Hand Rule" is correct... but think of yourself as a boat. Port (four letters) Left hand RED. Starboard (many letters) Right hand usually Green or blue

red, right, return... think of your steering lines.. usually red / blue! if you're leading with your red steering line you're on port(heading towards the beach @ Cook st) and must make your intentions known early to avoid a SB blue line forward sailor!

the Proper Course Rule is just made up to avoid conflicts with people heading to the next mark while you're still trying to get to the first! however with our skilled sailors usually one has a kite high and the other low.

remember when rounding a mark they must be left to port... so while 'fetching' a mark you should be above (or upwind) of the mark. Mark Room is a can of worms but shouldn't become an issue if we avoid conflicts by having a proper course rule!

this help?
Last edited by abetanzo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Thanks, it does. I'll be staying out of everybody's way anyways. Let us know closer to the time if we're going to do it. Hopefully it fills in a bit later in the day. BTW - I put bigger fins on my Mako so I should go upwind better I hope.
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

will try and make it,....
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Well if Richard's coming he'll need to bring his sea anchor so I can keep up ....
JL

Post by JL »

Good luck with the races tonight. Nice work Abetanzo 8)
Thermals are good.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Just keep running these things and they'll catch on

Once people realise how much racing adds to your skills it'll work. Racing almost instantly makes you a better sailor, and adds focus to your sessions.

I'm really enjoying training, and working on tacks, and upwind technique.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Of course as soon as I leave it comes up... Bugger:-D
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

All good - Now you've got the timing and gear organization down, if the marks are set by 6:15 we'll all be ready. It'll catch on, consistency is the key and I think we only need a couple of days notice.