Belize?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Belize?

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm headed to Belize in late Nov / early Dec for 3 weeks.

Looks like most of my time will be spent in Ambergis Caye (San Pedro), since the GF has family we can stay with there.

Has anyone else been down there? Recommendations/opinions?
Planning on the 10m & 15m, TT & Skim from what I've read so far. (Flying delta, so its $300 round trip for my bag, but I get 70lbs :D
winddude

Post by winddude »

Haven't been there and I don't kite, but I did work with a kite instructor who runs a kite school there. If I remember correctly, winds where too light for windsurfing, I think avg 15 knots, very flat water, and looked pretty shallow in some of the pics and videos.

The time you're going may be the low season, he was still working in Brazil until at least the end of December, and I believe had a month or so off before opening up in Belize.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I was at Caye Caulker 10 years ago and they were renting windsurfers but there was only a gentle afternoon wind. This was in Dec. Bring your big kites. Go out and skin dive at the reef! That was the highlight of Belize besides the Jamaican like patois.
curses - foiled again!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I was in Corazal Town for 4 months in 1975. Jan to April it blew hard in the afternoons big whitecaps and made it dangerous to run our ski boat. Had fun flipping a hobie 16 a bunch of times and instructed on a keelboat with reefs in most of the time. But a shitload of wind then would probably seem like marginal conditions now. But 15-20 at least most days I think. The cayes might have less wind? Might have been a thermal on top of the trades in the bay.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I lived in Tulum a few hours north of there for 6 months. Always windy but usually 8-10kn and dead onshore. Great conditions when it happened, but few and far between. Bring your big kites and boards.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Thanks for the info folks. We're going to hit up Placencia as well now. It's looking like my 15m a skimboard and my fly rod might be the best options.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

My 15m, 10m, skimboard, fly rod, and snorkelling stuff all fit in the bag under the weight limit, and I fly out tomorrow, so hopefully I log some sessions down there!
Somehow my bag still weighs almost 20lbs less than my trip to Costa Rica, and that one I brought a 7m/10m and no snorkelling stuff :?: