Kite Foiling around Victoria?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
MtnarG
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kite Foiling around Victoria?

Post by MtnarG »

Hi Folks:

I'm starting to plan a move from the mainland to Victoria. I've been reading about the various kiting spots. I've been to Nitinaht many times, but never kited closer to Victoria.

I see some local spots may have Kelp / Driftwood / Shallow Water / ???

Just curious which spots are better for Foiling? I prefer the light wind (9kt-15kt) days, but I do ride on the windier days as well.

Any feedback is welcome as it may help me decide where in Victoria I want to live.

Cheers,

Grant
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

There’s a bunch of people Foiling at Gordon’s but it has a lot of kelp and crab traps once the thermal season starts.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

sorry the island is now full, please advise who you might be able to get to leave to take their spot? :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Outside Esquimalt lagoon on SW days would make for great foiling. Maybe Lake Cowichan. Also Cowichan Bay and outside Maple Bay.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Winter winds: Island View pretty much the only spot on south east. You can kite Clover too, but lots of sketchiness. IV can be a heartbreaker, tough to forecast, but super fun on its day. Light wind is particularly challenging (dies quick), higher wind is very choppy with waves, but that's part of the fun.

Summer winds: either Gordons or Cook St. Lots of kelp and some reefs off the main launch. Some local foilers go off lee of Clover Point, even doing some kelp clearning to have a path out. Gordons is great, just have to past the kelp patch ... though enough foilers and it's not an issue. Lots of local kiters pretty much only kite nitinat. Gordons summer thermals tend to be light from noon to 2ish (race foil), then pick up later in afternoon (free ride wave foil).
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

If you are moving to to the Island and have to work I would consider Victoria as your home base as you will find some sailing opportunities and close to working without commuting too far. But... Gordon's will get you the most days on the water foiling and normal kiting. The kelp is thick later in the season near shore as John said but not a significant deterrent. I've never hit large driftwood. Still waiting to hit a salmon. There is an hour commute from Sooke to Vic and can be lots of days of frustrating slow traffic during rush hour. However there is no real scene here in the winter for foiling.
There is some foiling happening in Comox area too.
I'm surprised we have not heard from anyone about Port Alberni yet. That is another opportunity for consistent summer sailing, foiling from the main harbour and China Creek a short drive away. And cheap real estate. And Nitinaht is not too far from there for summer bliss.
Look at last season's sailing logs for an idea of where people are logging from and at what time of year.

Welcome to the Island and we look forward to sailing with you!
curses - foiled again!