Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
Windjunky

river foiling

Post by Windjunky »

more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Cool, thats a really slow current by comparison and really stable compared to Tillicum, might need a high-speed foil!, but proves the concept.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Wondered when this would happen, check out 3:30 to 4:00 and 10:16 to 10:25 "Derek likes to fly his wing up high like a kite, so he put these longer lines on his wing, .... he gets a little bit more wind that way" :roll: :P :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vxPbsV3jo
[/url]
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

So, what is the current thinking about the fun factor of foiling in light wind?
For me, is it competitive for low wind with kiting, kite foiling, and wind foiling ?
I am now an impostor for this Username.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

firstonlastoff wrote:So, what is the current thinking about the fun factor of foiling in light wind?
For me, is it competitive for low wind with kiting, kite foiling, and wind foiling ?
IMHO in light wind, winging is more challenging than kiting or wind foiling. It is physically demanding to pump the wing for extended time and it takes finesse to stay on foil in turns. I had previously thought winging was all about light wind ... but it turns out it is high wind where it really shines. The power on demand makes it easy and because that's when there are more wind waves to play in.

For me, winging is a means to an end: it is entirely about wave riding. In light wind with no waves, I think I prefer kite foiling. If there are waves, then it's worth attempting to wing -- though light wind adds some challenge in wave riding dynamic too, as big wings are heavier and there's less wind to hold them up when luffed.
themorb

Post by themorb »

more force 4 wrote:fly his wing up high like a kite, so he put these longer lines on his wing, ....
Last time at Pat Bay, me and AJS reaching back and forth light wind session nothing intense so my mind wanders and I'm looking at my kite and his wing thinking you know these are fairly similar, just mine has strings.....
monicavi

Post by monicavi »

Quality of light wind is a factor too. 10kts sideshore Caribbean Breeze. Kitefoiling will give you a lot more speed. But shifty, holey 5-15kn, subject to die at any moment, and the wing makes a lot more sense. If you have time to find better wind then go get it, but sometimes there's only a short window at a sketchy spot. Take it or leave it. Wing.
KC7777

Light wind wingfoiling

Post by KC7777 »

firstonlastoff wrote:So, what is the current thinking about the fun factor of foiling in light wind? For me, is it competitive for low wind with kiting, kite foiling, and wind foiling ?
Hey FOLO,

I got the massive 2400cm front foil from Armstrong. I want easy learning and light wind capabilities for winging. Most tried to talk me into the 1850cm foil. If I like winging I will likely get an Armstrong 1550cm front foil for higher winds

I also got a wing with a "bar", as I want to rig some kind of harness lines for harness use?

My plan is to try out my "big board + small sail" theory that I found worked so well with windsurfing (for me). eg. I a short, wide 115L Fanatic tri-fin FreeWave ws board + 4.8M wave sail planed just as well as a 95L board + 6.0M freeride sail in the same wind (~15-20), when windsurfing. I sailed the Fanatic with the front footstraps more inboard, and only 1 back strap, and more upright stance. It worked well.

It's the same as skiing more "centered" on big pow skis...they work everywhere, with less effort.

I hope this untested theory applies to wingfoiling too..... a big 2400 foil + smaller 4.5M wing? The board size is sort of irrelevant I think (I will be on a 115L Quatro Drifter wing board). eg. I hope that a 4.5M Armstrong wing + huge 2400 foil, will fly in same winds as would a 5.0-6.0M wing + smaller 1550/1850 foil?

Supposedly the 4.5M Armstrong wings are pretty grunty...eg in tests they use the 4.5M Armstrong wing against 5.0M and 5.3M wings from other brands. And I may start with the shorter 72cm mast (as I want to foil surf on a shorter mast), so was thinking the smaller 4.5M wing will catch less on the water at my 5'7" height?

We'll see...on paper it makes sense to me but WTF do I know? I haven't even windsurfed in years. Here's what I'm hoping for...3 board quiver:
Range:
7 - 12 wind - windsurf foiling (145L foil ws board + 5.3M/6.2M)
8 - 20 wind - wing foiling (115L wing board + big foil + 5.0M wing)
15+ wind - windsurfing (93L ws board + 4.8M/5.3M)

Also got access to a ski/fishing boat at Kootenay Lake for the summer to learn how to ride the foil on the wing board. I also plan to SUP foil on the 115L Quatro Drifter too at Hornby in pretty small waves. Supposedly the 2400cm foil can surf in <1' mini waves?

Here's more on the Armstrong big 2400cm foil:

The Armstrong CF2400 V2 Foil is designed for maximum lift and glide. This wing has so much lift you can wake foil on a jetski wake with no rope. The Armstrong 2400 is one of the most stable and smooth wings on the market that creates huge amounts of lift without much effort. If you are learning how to pump behind a boat, or in very small surf it works great and you'll end up gliding farther then any other wing. If you are learning how to wing thing this foil is a great set up because of how much lift it creates (allowing you to fly a smaller wing thing) and how stable it performs once on foil. If it starts getting windier and you are feeling overpowered I recommend sliding the mast back as it makes a big difference with this wing. Ideally you'll have both the 1550 (for windier days) and the 2400 (lighter winds) allowing you to wing in a a huge range of conditions.

Here's a vid of the 4.5M Armstrong Wing against a 5.0M and 5.3M Wings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJTp6M4wCM&t=3s

This is useful vid for tips for starting Winging:

https://youtu.be/Xei291TON-0

K
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Wingfoiling

Post by AJSpencer »

Cool to see some of the videos popping up on IG of huge airs by Titouan and others. Like 20-30’? Crazy. Seems the new designs can depower better, like the Slick I use, allowing bigger wings in bigger wind, and thus bigger airs.
Looking forward to seeing some jumps live at RBFC. :arrow: \:D/