quiver for BC

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
krakus

quiver for BC

Post by krakus »

Hi, I'm going to Vancouver/Nanaimo in May for few months and have plans to windsurf. I can take one board only - 76l wave board or 106l freestyle board.
Which one will suit BC canditions better ?
kuss

boards for BC

Post by kuss »

well, if you weigh 120 lbs bring the 76L wave, if you are 200 the freestyle sounds bang on. :P odd systems for a 4.5 in May/June but usually 5.0 - 7.0 wind and you'll sail more often with the freestyle, especially at the lakes.

:idea: You can always buy and sell again, smaller (80L) boards seem easier to come by around here.
windsurf247

Post by windsurf247 »

I second that....especially if you're going to be in Vancouver. The island has bigger winds but you should be fine on a 106l board. Like Markus said, small wave boards are a dime a dozen around here. In fact, you can borrow mine if I haven't sold it by then!!
morewind

Post by morewind »

I'll third the advice. Best to go big. I've got a 1997 F2 254 that you can borrow, although it's on the last legs - might be good for the many Gordon's 4.7 days.
krakus

eq for BC

Post by krakus »

thanks... anyway I assume those small boards are busy when it's windy :?
my weight is 78kg ( ~170lbs). I will post here in May ASAP after my arival :)
When season ends in BC ?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

season end?

Post by KUS »

There is no season end.... :?: most move from ocean to lake or Columbia River Gorge sailing in July and August, lightest time is usually May and September but with a number of great days.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windsurf247

wave board

Post by windsurf247 »

My wave board is free.....free to use that is! I've got a new board so you're welcome to it. I'm guessing you'd be more comfortable on your own gear though. I know I am.
You should check the archives/stats for wind patterns in May/June. Sheringham tells the story for Gordon's beach (past Sooke) and Trial Island, Gonzales, and Victoria Harbour will give you an idea of what Cook St/ Dallas Rd does. It'll be mostly a westerly wind. Nitinat starts up in May as well but is really best in July/Aug. Still lots of 5.5-6.0 days in the spring with the odd 5.0.
Rob