Carrying a waterproof marine radio while kiting

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Carrying a waterproof marine radio while kiting

Post by davey_k »

Does anyone here carry a waterproof marine radio while kiting? I was thinking of carrying one for places like Gordons, Columbia, Cook.
frank

Post by frank »

Ia Orana,

when by myself or in remote places, i do put one inside my chest zipper/flap.

Standard Horizon HX851, floating, waterproof & GPS....

few years back, left Tofino harbour by dinghy/zodiac went to south Chesterman to windsurf, fog rolled in fast at end of day, so left back for harbour, got lost in fog, lost coastline, had a vhf but no gps, no use calling anyone when you don't know where you are!~~!?
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
Westcoaster

VHF Radio

Post by Westcoaster »

I always ride with a handheld VHF (with a lanyard) in winter and remote spots. Even if you don't have one with a GPS feature you can still be found. Coast Guard has direction finding equipment that can home in on your location when you are talking on it. The most important thing is to call for help early before things get really dangerous. It is easier to stand down Coast Guard, if you get back to safety, than trying to find your body. We should all at least carry some sort of light (waterproof strobe or even a glow stick), whistle and reflective tape on our helmets. It is very difficult to find someone in the water in black wetsuit with no lights at night.
Good practice is to call Coast Guard Radio on 83A (USA mode) and do a radio check before going out to make sure your radio works well where you are riding.
Have a great next session!
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: VHF Radio

Post by davey_k »

Thanks for the advice Frank and Chris. Chris, we spoke at CB last October about VHF radios and it is still on my mind. I'm gonna pick one up. I read that it is best to put them into a waterproof bag since, as a kiter, we are in the water more than a yachter.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Teabag carries flippers kiting, I used to carry waterwings to slip onto the windsurfing rig if I had to ditch it...bright orange fit 2 into back of my old harness pocket. I will carry some form of inflatable if I go kiting more outside. There's a winter thread on it :idea: strobes etc. My floating & flashing vhf is always in the van...used it at Jordan River to call for help for someone once when *16 doesn't work
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Westcoaster

Post by Westcoaster »

Sometimes you can find dual waterproof VHF sets. That way you can leave one on the beach with someone. It is blowing 25-30KN at CB right now!