Search found 141 matches

by smartang
Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Money for nothing, at Nitinaht
Replies: 49
Views: 13382

I hope the people complaining about TP aren't the same ones rolling up in 50 thousand dollar campers stocked with another 10 thou in gear. Man, common sense and appreciation are hard to come by these days.
by smartang
Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Preventative measures: Kite Lines and Kelp
Replies: 2
Views: 886

Preventative measures: Kite Lines and Kelp

To Arturo and all the other Newbies who always end up covered in seaweed. Here's 5 things you probably overlooked before the kitemare even happened. a) evaluate wind conditions -10 knots is not enough for the ocean) b) evaluate hazards in water and on land -leave the kite in the bag and swim a the s...
by smartang
Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm
Topic: KITE REPAIR IN VICTORIA??
Replies: 17
Views: 5086

Be careful with kitefix type repairs. Dacron tape is always handy for smaller quick fixes, and the bladder patch does work on small punctures. But there's a reason kites are stitched together and not held with drywall tape and smeared urethane. Did you know that's what the fancy kitefix method is? O...
by smartang
Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Forward Rotations
Replies: 6
Views: 1808

Forward Rotations

Just reading through the Loop Motivation and realized how much it reminded me of trying to figure out Sbends on a kiteboard. I've never seen a WS throw a forward loop in person, or another kiteboarder on VI throw a decent SBend, although I know they're out there. But one of the most important factor...
by smartang
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:32 am
Topic: Skimboard + Trainer Kite = ?
Replies: 4
Views: 1218

I tried it once when I could still one-step a skimboard into waves and with a 2m. I wasn't an experienced kiter at this point though. No luck. Trainer kites pretty much only make power dead downwind. And you'll probably need a running start. My biggest problem was dropping the kite. Unless you have ...
by smartang
Wed May 30, 2012 8:41 am
Topic: Bar&Lines For Each Kites or Not?
Replies: 16
Views: 4092

It all depends on your riding style and your future kiteboarding goals. I will use many different bars depending on what the wind is doing and what type of riding I want to push. You would be surprised how much you can affect the characteristics of a kite with bar width and line length. Here's some ...