Search found 141 matches

by smartang
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:11 am
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: Foil repair
Replies: 2
Views: 1111

Re: Foil repair

That wingtip looks pretty draggy to me. If a tiny blade of grass can pull the nose down then it's possible. I'd guess you're also a little timid after the accident and riding low or slower than normal. Both of which will pull the nose down. Chopping it down is probably the easiest option to get a sy...
by smartang
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:16 am
Topic: Black Kraken
Replies: 1
Views: 1959

Re: Black Kraken

Going through sabfoil directly will not be worth it after paying to ship your mast to Italy. Add the risk of paying full tax and duty. I would say most current local wingfoil sab riders don't need the upgrade on the foils they're riding. Foils like the 945, 899, 1100 etc just don't need the slicker ...
by smartang
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:59 am
Topic: Armstrong Performance Masts
Views: 1982

Re: Armstrong Performance Masts

2023 is the year of 2k masts. Unfortunately most of them do provide that much more high speed and glide performance. Matt Nuzzo stop playing dumb. The mast is nearly 40% heavier than the original 85. 'Slight' stops at 10%. And Army saying they cut weight away from the baseplate where you don't need ...
by smartang
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:44 pm
Topic: WingFoil Videos
Replies: 32
Views: 12171

Re: WingFoil Videos

That is the least amount of effort I've ever seen someone get up on sup foil in the flats. And not on a barracuda shape. I still can't do it on the 1250, was going to build a 8.0' x 19" dw, but I guess it's easier to just throw some more money at it. Order me a 1550, might as well get the 73P t...
by smartang
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:16 am
Topic: Dip Start
Replies: 7
Views: 1902

Re: Dip Start

I guess I'm not one to talk, just tore my hip labrum trying to flat water sup foil. Gettin old, gettin old... I can say that my 21" wide board is super comfy to sit on, paddle and dip start.
by smartang
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:32 am

Yoga
by smartang
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:51 am

The hop start requires a more narrow board. I don't recommend it unless you're lean and flexible.

Narrow boards are the way to go anyway. But I do the dip start on my old 27" wide board just fine. And the dip is far more reliable, especially in lighter winds.
by smartang
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am

Dip Start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclY4e6WKZs Great example of what I've been calling a modified stinkbug. Dip start is the way to go. It works on all size boards. An athletic beginner should be able start winging on a neutral volume board with this technique. I used to do the hop start, it takes a lo...
by smartang
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 am
Topic: Foil Placement relative to feet placement
Replies: 5
Views: 1573

Re: Foil Placement relative to feet placement

Ok, I see you're on axis 1150. That's a big foil, and axis is known for high front foot pressure. You'll probably always have to be at the back of the board unless you switch to axis advance fuse and a much smaller foil.
by smartang
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:09 pm

My board is 4'10x21 and -35-40L less than my weight so there's really only 1 place my front foot could go. Any further back and it'll shoot out from under me trying to takeoff. Any further forward and I'll sink the nose. I'd say you want your feet as far forward as possible without sinking the nose ...
by smartang
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:34 am

Are you using the same foil? If your old foil was all the way back and still able to provide enough lift for you to stand where you wanted (not awkwardly toward the back of the board), then the same foil on a smaller board will have too much lift. Consider a smaller stabilizer. #1 rule of foil place...
by smartang
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:12 am

If I sell all my foils I might have enough for one of these. Hope I get to touch one next summer.

by smartang
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:54 am

Man, Nitinat looks nice. Foot switches are much easier with jibe straps, but you have to do a proper kitefoil race swap. The straps give you a spot to hit, which will be the exact right spot. None of this baby steps, touch down, baby jump, baby steps back to riding position stuff. I would recommend ...
by smartang
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:00 pm
Topic: Wing foiler on 2 Rivers in Sproat Lake Saturday Blue and Red duotone wing?
Views: 1337

Re: Wing foiler on 2 Rivers in Sproat Lake Saturday Blue and Red duotone wing?

Taylor get's pretty good wind on a normal year. I'm not the guy you're talking about, but this past week I was out on Taylor on a 5m and 55L board (195lbs). Ole (Zensports) rides a 35L and 5m there all the time (175lbs). Last summer I only used a 4.2m, 90L on Taylor. You will find yourself over on a...
by smartang
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:17 am
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Efoil and Wingfoil Demo at China Creek
Replies: 1
Views: 722

Re: Efoil and Wingfoil Demo at China Creek

Demo week extended to August 3rd. Camp site 408 on the jetty.