Search found 140 matches

by smartang
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:04 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Efoil and Wingfoil Demo at China Creek
Replies: 1
Views: 723

Efoil and Wingfoil Demo at China Creek

Zenlifestyles mobile showroom and demo trailer will be at China Creek July 20-27 and August 21-25. This is your chance to really put a foil setup through its paces before buying. Take the legendary lift120 ha behind the jet ski, efoil, wake foil behind the Zensports wake boat, foil drive it on a Kal...
by smartang
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:13 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Parksville?
Replies: 5
Views: 1499

Re: Parksville?

If the weather ever switches to a normal summer then I would expect only 8-14kn afternoon summer breeze. So kitefoiling. But as summer goes on, the seaweed builds so you might want to consider a megakite and surfboard. San pariel is the best place for family + wind. Bring a skimboard and a sup if yo...
by smartang
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:55 pm
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: Foils for Wingfoiling
Replies: 21
Views: 8460

Re: Foils for Wingfoiling

Latest Blue Planet Podcast had the Axis designer on. Best technical podcast I've heard so far. Apparently all the pros use the 325 or 300 progressives.

by smartang
Sun May 29, 2022 2:12 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Foiling Spinout
Replies: 4
Views: 1733

Re: Foiling Spinout

Can't speak for windfoiling, but Gunnar says spinout is usually the mast. Something like sunscreen residue can cause it. The cheapest test is cleaning your foil and mast with alcohol or cheap blue windshield washer fluid. I've also noticed some squirrelyness closer to the water's surface when it's s...
by smartang
Fri May 20, 2022 7:53 am
Topic: hand placement
Replies: 6
Views: 1914

Re: hand placement

I usually use an underhand on my front hand, and overhand on my back hand. However, when toeside tacking (not jibing) you're essentially clapping your hands over your head so you end up double overhand. For heelside tacking (again not jibing) I go into it double overhand just cause it feels more nat...
by smartang
Thu May 19, 2022 9:35 am
Topic: Wing Repair - Should we always expect it?
Replies: 7
Views: 1705

Re: Wing Repair - Should we always expect it?

Have never punctured a wing, not even sure how that is. My board flys off spinning on botched jumps and sometimes lands on the wing. For the board flipping upside down, and wipeouts I'm sure the long leash has saved me many times. I use a modified coil leash attached to the dog leash clip on the ree...
by smartang
Sat May 14, 2022 7:17 am
Topic: Wingfoil setup
Replies: 3
Views: 1003

Re: Wingfoil setup

At your age and weight with 8 years kiting experience I would say you can go smaller on the board should go smaller on the foil. It's more challenging, but especially at a place like Nitinat you can get away with a smaller starter setup. Demo somebody's big setup on day 1. But purchase a 75L board, ...
by smartang
Sun May 08, 2022 7:16 am
Topic: Foils for Wingfoiling
Replies: 21
Views: 8460

Re: Foils for Wingfoiling

Let's take it easy on what we call a porsche.

Hoverglide - Dodge Caravan with check engine on

Axis 1010 - Buick/Cadillac nice a floaty in a straight line

Armstrong 725/lift120 - Mid level Porsche - handling/agility/ good speed but not the fastest

Mikeslab - Lambo.
by smartang
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:01 am
Topic: Location advice for East coast of Island
Replies: 2
Views: 1110

Re: Location advice for East coast of Island

San Pariel on a low tide (like today around noon). Sideshore wind on any SE or NW. 500m long soft sandbar to walk of shame. Goose spit on a higher tide once you can taxi upwind on your knees (or standing).
by smartang
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:11 pm
Topic: KT Wing Air
Replies: 14
Views: 3126

Re: KT Wing Air

Need to demo wings against something like a Strike V2 (max lift) and OR Glide A (max speed) or Unit dlab (speed plus rigid handles). The price is right on the kt, which would allow some to take more risks vs a 3k aluula wing. Or at least focus on protecting the 6k board and foil through the shore br...
by smartang
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:02 am
Topic: KT Wing Air
Replies: 14
Views: 3126

Re: KT Wing Air

Good first wing. Lots of room to move your hands. Long front handle will be nice for tacks. But the handles are probably too long for precise pumping. It should feel stiff enough for the first bit, but from my experience those large panels will bag out quick if your ride powered up in high winds. Wh...
by smartang
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:24 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Windsurf Foiling Discussion
Replies: 146
Views: 61613

Re: Windsurf Foiling Discussion

Sab will be hard to beat for top speed and high speed stability at that price point. New mast is only 13.5mm thick at the base.
by smartang
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:03 am
Topic: Sabfoil Kraken System
Replies: 10
Views: 1813

Re: Sabfoil Kraken System

It's an older design, so M6 which is what you have with the 710. But if you want to be sure email Tucker at Mackite. He's the guy that does all their youtube reviews, but he's also really good about answering email questions.

by smartang
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:07 pm

The old style sab/moses masts have pleanty of metal in them. Xray Moses mast: https://kiteforum.com/download/file.php?id=93639&mode=view Have you seen the custom stringy moses fuse. Multiple tail position and mast placement options. What more could you ask for. https://www.mackiteboarding.com/cu...
by smartang
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 am

It has nothing to do with the quick release. It's part a sales tactic. But mostly because the hardcore freestyle guys like Balz and future champ RickyZ are breaking their masts and sheering the m6 fuse bolts. And they're sick of warranty claims I'm guessing. I have hairline fractured a gen1 m82 mast...